• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

think I'm gaining a new rabbit

mushlett

Mama Doe
I have been looking after my friends rabbit and hamster for quite a while now, she has given the hamster to my daughter and today the rabbit has been castrated. It's a bit difficult as I know she won't be in a position to have him back for a long long time, he is really lonely and I would love to put him in with my girls, this is what she wanted me to do but I wouldn't do it until he was castrated. I can't give him the space he needs without putting them together as my girls enclosure takes up most of the room but I'm concerned that she might want him back one day and I think that would really upset them all. Opinions gratefully received xx

I have no idea what to suggest as i've never been in that position. You should kindly let her know in future though that she should be responsible for her own pets, without trying to sound like a meanie. :wave:
It's very kind of you to take the hamster and possibly even the rabbit on though :thumb:

It's not really her fault, she ended up homeless and having to move back in with her mum and they have no space but I was shocked by the size of their cages :( she also never bothers to visit him and I have completely changed his diet as it was bad, the more I think about it the more I think she won't have him back so I think I may just bite the bullet and bond them.
He currently has a cone on his head, bless him but he's eating well xx

It's not really her fault, she ended up homeless and having to move back in with her mum and they have no space but I was shocked by the size of their cages :( she also never bothers to visit him and I have completely changed his diet as it was bad, the more I think about it the more I think she won't have him back so I think I may just bite the bullet and bond them.
He currently has a cone on his head, bless him but he's eating well xx

I take it all back then :)
If she ever does ask for him back then, when they're more settled, you could always teach her about rabbit space and diet so that he has a better life. :D
You could always ask too, if she thinks she will, because you'd like to bond him with your buns.

I take it all back then :)
If she ever does ask for him back then, when they're more settled, you could always teach her about rabbit space and diet so that he has a better life. :D
You could always ask too, if she thinks she will, because you'd like to bond him with your buns.

I've tried friendly advice but her boyfriends a moron and his mum keeps rabbits obviously not well but because he says the cage is fine she thinks it is. I have rehoused the hamster into a cage the same size as the rabbits and he has 3 levels, sadly I am not joking, I have to try really hard not to get frustrated because I don't want him to end up at her boyfriends mums house :censored: xx

I've tried friendly advice but her boyfriends a moron and his mum keeps rabbits obviously not well but because he says the cage is fine she thinks it is. I have rehoused the hamster into a cage the same size as the rabbits and he has 3 levels, sadly I am not joking, I have to try really hard not to get frustrated because I don't want him to end up at her boyfriends mums house :censored: xx

Is there any chance you could print off leaflets for them? Then atleast they know other people think they deserve more room too.
I just hope then that the bun can stay with you :)

It's not fair to bond them if you separate them. If you bond them then she can't have him back as he and your rabbits would grieve. She's not likely to bond him again from what you said. So if there's any chance she'd have him back don't do it. Or say you've fallen in love with him and ask if you can keep him?

It's not fair to bond them if you separate them. If you bond them then she can't have him back as he and your rabbits would grieve. She's not likely to bond him again from what you said. So if there's any chance she'd have him back don't do it. Or say you've fallen in love with him and ask if you can keep him?

I might play the kids have fallen in love with him card. It's so hard I really don't know what to do, thanks for your post, I know you are right. I also worry about the same thing with giving him more space and changing his diet but I can't feed an animal a bad diet keep it in a tiny cage and watch it be lonely, he's already been here for 3 months. It's so hard :censored: xx

Ask her if she will ask for him back, if she says yes: sorry, can't take him on.
If she says no: I'll take him on!

However you would have to make sure she would 100% not take him back! :thumb:

And bear in mind that the bond might not be successful! :wave:

How many chinchillas do you have? I love them, I only have 1 at the moment but I'm looking for a friend for him he's called Stumpy Dosh and he is beyond cute, I love him so much xx

How many chinchillas do you have? I love them, I only have 1 at the moment but I'm looking for a friend for him he's called Stumpy Dosh and he is beyond cute, I love him so much xx

I've got four. :wave:
Cheech and Chong were a pain to bond, it took me three months. :shock: Then Cheech had two babies and we had to separate them until he was neutered but now they all live together. They're wonderful animals, amazing pets but just so destructive.

Ask her if she will ask for him back, if she says yes: sorry, can't take him on.
If she says no: I'll take him on!

However you would have to make sure she would 100% not take him back! :thumb:

And bear in mind that the bond might not be successful! :wave:

I know, don't worry I've thought about that and worse case scenario one would have to move into the outdoor enclosure and we would have to get another rabbit :lol: xx

I've got four. :wave:
Cheech and Chong were a pain to bond, it took me three months. :shock: Then Cheech had two babies and we had to separate them until he was neutered but now they all live together. They're wonderful animals, amazing pets but just so destructive.

Stumpy Dosh is being very destructive at the moment but my husband hasn't built his new indoor enclosure yet, I'm giving him a one week deadline and then I'll get my dad to do it. I'm not great at diy and don't want to do it myself as they are quite the little escape artists :lol: xx

Back