• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving Bunnies

Amy104

Warren Veteran
How long is it normal for bunnies to grief for a passed friend?

A freind of mine lost her bun on boxing day and the remaining bun is still appearing to grieve very badly, he is very subduded. He's taking solice in a stuffed toy and will only really leave the hutch if the owner moves the soft toy aswell. They aren't in a position to get him a friend.

Would a bunny still be greiving three months later? I've normally rebonded so not had this before.

I'm wondering if a vet visit would be advisable, incase bunny is actually hiding an illness.

My Bugsy grieved for Steffi for about 6 months, and during that time he didn't want to bond with Chloe. I don't know whether it made any difference, but I couldn't show Bugsy her dead body, so he didn't actually know she had died, so just missed her not being there.

Even though Bugsy wouldn't accept Chloe for 6 months, at least he could see her nearby and this may have helped a bit. It may be worth having a vet check him over, just in case...but I think he probably really does need another bunny friend.

Different situation - but I had to have one of my cats pts 6 weeks ago and the remaining one is still most definitely grieving.

Dizzy is still grieveing the loss of Rascal in February :( He is in a run beside Tizzy so even though she hasnt accepted any other rabbits, just seeing Tizzy comforts Dizzy a little, even though she does try to attack him

That's what I was thinking. The other bun had EC and the owner fought very hard for him. She is understandably very upset and really does not feel able to commit to another bunny and I think that is sensible of her to admit that. Is there anything she can do to help him? The only other suggestion I can think of is rehoming him but seems very insensitive as she obviously loves him very much.

That's what I was thinking. The other bun had EC and the owner fought very hard for him. She is understandably very upset and really does not feel able to commit to another bunny and I think that is sensible of her to admit that. Is there anything she can do to help him? The only other suggestion I can think of is rehoming him but seems very insensitive as she obviously loves him very much.

Two bunnies are no more hardwork than one really its cruel to keep him alone when he's use to company this is only best for them if they reject multiple partners...

Its not the work that is the problem, its the potential heartbreak involved in keeping bunnies. We all know how stressful it can be when they go downhill and after you lose a bun despite your best attempts it knocks you.

It's possible he is still grieving; I'd say it's more likely by now that it's not the grief so much as loneliness that is causing him to be so subdued. Personally if the owners can't/don't want to get another bun, I think bun should move indoors where he will get more interaction. If that's not possible I hate to say it especially as you make clear that he is very loved, but it might be in his best interests to rehome. If he's really so very unhappy on his own I would think about whether that would be fairer on him in the long run.

Yes indeed - very tricky! The rescue that my Heather came from has an adoption condition that if the bun's partner dies you will either get them a new partner, bring them indoors or return them to the rescue!

Last edited:
Its a sensible condition, must be so hard to give them up though, I'm not sure I could do it. After I lost Bracken and Apollo so close together I really couldn't face getting a new bun, but I had to Comet as he just wouldn't bond with any of my other groups.

Its not the work that is the problem, its the potential heartbreak involved in keeping bunnies. We all know how stressful it can be when they go downhill and after you lose a bun despite your best attempts it knocks you.

Then as harsh as this is she needs to think of the bun I don't think brining him in will help as Yuri is an indoor bun and when we lost Yuki she was awful...it broke my heart to get a bun so soon but I had Ti for her... Yuki was my soul bun I will always love her but she would have wanted me to help jake and Yuri

A bun that's had company unless the reject other buns should be kept alone

Back