• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Combined Myxi/VHD Jab

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Took my babes for their myxi jab yesterday now the temps are going up only to be told by vet that they no longer provide the myxi and VHD separately and provide only the combined one....which I wasn't too happy about as I worry about the overload of vaccines. I think I posted on here 12 months ago when the combined one was available having a general ask around amongst you all as I wasn't sure about how bunnies would react, so I opted to have them done separately last year as usual.

Of course 12 months have passed and I forgot all about the combined one when I took them yesterday, but as my babes get really really stressed out on vet visits and I had sat there for so long waiting to be seen I gave in and my babes have had the combined one.

Both seem OK although Bella might be feeling a little **** today. Anyone had their bunnies react badly to this vaccine or am I just worrying too much.......as usual :roll:

Mine had it for the first time at the end of March - Tia was grumpy for a few days more than usual, and did seem very hot (one night a couple of days later she just wouldn't eat, we had to force water in her - she seemed very 'off' and appeared to be hot - but then it was the first warmer day we had after snow) but she was fine a couple of hours later.

Other than that they've been fine (and that might not even have been the jab, could have been coincidence).

bisc and matt had one recently and the year before aswell. both fine. i think it's meant to be alot gentler than the older vaccs, even though it's combined. :wave:

I've got 5 house bunnies and all are vaccinated with no problems. Apparently this combined vaccine is much better than separate ones, and is a god send financially as well. Before my 5 buns were having 3 injections a year each at a total cost of nearly £500, but all 5 have been done now for £200, plus if your bunnies get stressed out with vet visits, then it is good that they only need one injection a year instead of 3. This new vaccine doesn't need to be cultured in the livers of live rabbits, so that's good to know as well. My vet who is a rabbit only vet, said that previously poorly bunnies with compromised immune systems, were often being caused serious medical problems with the single VHD vaccine, and something to do with mineral oil I think it was as well, but can't remember what. After discussing at length with him, I am very happy and confident with this new vaccine, as it seems to me, that a lot of problems before with the single ones, have now been removed by introducing the combined vaccine. I guess as well that maybe more owners will keep their rabbits properly vaccinated, as there is not so much cost involved, and that must be a big plus for the rabbit community as a whole. I think it is much the same as the MMR jab. Lots of parents refused to have it, and now we have this terrible measles situation in Wales.

thank you for your input, just can't help it worrying so much about them as I think we all know when something is wrong, it can very quickly get dangerous for bun buns. Both cost me £46 each plus VAT which is reasonable I suppose and yes the good thing for my bunnies is that I now don't have to make two trips which is probably more of a relief to me than the bunnies:lol:. + the myxi lasts 12 months instead of 6

Have just spent a couple of hours with them both having a mooch around the patio and generally being nosy and naughty, so, so far all is good :lol:

Back