• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this big enough for my giant?

BigBunnyBenji

Mama Doe
Do people think that if I added onto this a 6 x 8 run, it would be enough for my giant rabbit? :?

I've lost my tape measure atm so I can't tell you the dimensions of the run right now.

He is being kept indoors at the moment, so he isn't being treated badly or anything like that, I'm just trying to get it all set up for summer. :)

IMG_4282_zps2b8761f4.jpg

Last edited:
What is the weight of your giant? And how tall is he (including ears up) when he periscopes fully?

I would say it is too small for a giant, but then I don't have the full measurements, I'm just estimating based on the size of the playhouse. 44sqft is the minimum recommended for standard size buns, so you'd want a fair bit more space than that, according to his breed/size. I'd also say that the lower run needs to be made taller, it looks only about 2ft high and it needs to be high enough for him to periscope comfortably. The height of the taller run looks good.

The full measurements would really help in determining how much more space you need.

It will be much easier and cheaper for you if you buy a custom-made bigger run, rather than trying to get the space by joining small runs.

I don't think either set-up is big enough, sorry :(

The giant bun would really need a lot more space than the 4x4 playhouse and that run (which looks to be about 4 x 3ish?). I think giant rabbits really need a large shed and aviary so they have lots of running space.

The hutch for your smaller bunny looks very small to me. I think the run looks about 4x4 (?), so again quite small.

Can you use what you have there, and get additional bits to join onto both set-ups to increase the space for both in the meantime, and aim to get a bigger set-up for when they are bonded?

What is the weight of your giant? And how tall is he (including ears up) when he periscopes fully?

I would say it is too small for a giant, but then I don't have the full measurements, I'm just estimating based on the size of the playhouse. 44sqft is the minimum recommended for standard size buns, so you'd want a fair bit more space than that, according to his breed/size. I'd also say that the lower run needs to be made taller, it looks only about 2ft high and it needs to be high enough for him to periscope comfortably. The height of the taller run looks good.

The full measurements would really help in determining how much more space you need.

It will be much easier and cheaper for you if you buy a custom-made bigger run, rather than trying to get the space by joining small runs.

I read online that the minimum standard size was for the rabbit to be able to fit three times at full length in the shed, and he can. Pets at Home told me that this shed would be fine for him, it's the exact same shed they use in their own booklet. He has a lot more room here than he did at Pets at Home and I would have thought that they would use the minimum standard..
The lower run isn't really meant for Benji, it's for April.

I'll try and find the measurements.

I can't really afford to buy a custom run, I've spent a lot putting all of this together for them.

i agree that the set ups dont really look big enough :( i like the idea of 2 runs on top of each other to give him the height but i think it would need to be about twice the size to meet minimum recommended size requirements for normal sized buns.

The playhouse would be fine as a base if there was a much larger run attached.

The other setup is, unfortunately, not big enough either.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but you did ask!

I read online that the minimum standard size was for the rabbit to be able to fit three times at full length in the shed, and he can. Pets at Home told me that this shed would be fine for him, it's the exact same shed they use in their own booklet. He has a lot more room here than he did at Pets at Home and I would have thought that they would use the minimum standard..

I can't really afford to buy a custom run, I've spent a lot putting all of this together for them.

The info I've come across before says they should be able to hop three times.

Personally I wouldn't take the advice of Pets at Home as gospel, and they don't use the minimum standard accommodation in their shops by a long shot :(

I don't mean to sound harsh by the way, just that I think it is too small for them. You might be able to pick up something fairly good value on ebay or gumtree rather than spending a lot on something new.

I could potentially buy another run, and a bigger hutch for April. P@H should really have told me about this when I bought him, but never mind!

Thanks for all the information, I've got a couple of weeks to sort it out anyway!
He has been in the house free range until now, so don't worry about him being mistreated or anything. :thumb:

And it's no problem (about sounding harsh), I did ask for the advice because I was worried about it, after seeing how much space everyone else's have.
I might have to keep Benji inside for a bit longer until I can afford all of this.

I'm afraid you, like countless others (including myself) have fallen prey to the inadequate advice often given in pet shops. Here are the official guidelines for standard size rabbits: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm The video is particularly good.

Sounds like someone has got their wires crossed, because the minimum hutch size should be for the rabbit to take 3-4 hops in a straight line (not just to fit them in) - for a standard size rabbit (2-2.5kg) this is usually 6-7ft, which is why the minimum size hutch for a standard rabbit is 6ft long. The rabbit must also be able to lie any way in the hutch stretched out fully and be able to periscope fully without their ears touching the ceiling - hence why they should be 2ft deep and 2ft tall. Obviously for a giant these measurements need to be much bigger, as the animal is much bigger. In addition to the hutch, rabbits should have a run that is much bigger and gives them the space to run at full speed.

It is also worth noting that pet shop accommodation does not have to meet the minimum standards for pet housing, in fact there was a thread about this recently. The reason is that pet shops are only temporary accommodation.

Can I ask how much Benji weighs and what breed he is? As that will affect accommodation greatly, as 'giant' rabbits can weigh anything from approx 5-11kg, which is a massive size difference.

edit: to be honest, giants are a bit of a pain to house outside unless you have a shed and aviary type setup.... is staying indoors not something that you would want?

Last edited:
I agree pets at home should be much more responsible about telling people the necessary sizes. The playhouse is great, but the run is too small for Benji. I don't think you need to replace the playhouse if he has 24/7 hour access to a run - the '3 hops' thing is only if they're ever shut in it.

Unfortunately the new girls setup is definitely too small - the hutch is way too small and the run is inadequate too.

Are you going to bond Benji and the new girl? If so, it may be best to get an 8 x 6 or 8 x 4 or bigger run, attach that to the playhouse and keep the girl indoors before you bond. Then when bonded they can both go in the bigger setup which will be perfect. Unfortunately because Benji is a giant, you'll want 3 ft high one (as I'm sure you already know as you made his current one taller). This is the best place to get pre-made, 3ft runs and they're pretty reasonably priced http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/3ft_high_runs/cat1466126_1727923.aspx.

Rather than buying a new hutch and 2 new runs, it'd pay you to just get as big of a run as you can manage and keep the girl inside until you bond. Where are you getting her from? Rescues often will bond for you so you can avoid having to buy new accommodation. You may have to wait a few weeks extra until they have time to bond them, but at least you save having to buy a whole new setup.

I'm afraid you, like countless others (including myself) have fallen prey to the inadequate advice often given in pet shops. Here are the official guidelines for standard size rabbits: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm The video is particularly good.

Sounds like someone has got their wires crossed, because the minimum hutch size should be for the rabbit to take 3-4 hops in a straight line (not just to fit them in) - for a standard size rabbit (2-2.5kg) this is usually 6-7ft, which is why the minimum size hutch for a standard rabbit is 6ft long. The rabbit must also be able to lie any way in the hutch stretched out fully and be able to periscope fully without their ears touching the ceiling - hence why they should be 2ft deep and 2ft tall. Obviously for a giant these measurements need to be much bigger, as the animal is much bigger. In addition to the hutch, rabbits should have a run that is much bigger and gives them the space to run at full speed.

It is also worth noting that pet shop accommodation does not have to meet the minimum standards for pet housing, in fact there was a thread about this recently. The reason is that pet shops are only temporary accommodation.

Can I ask how much Benji weighs and what breed he is? As that will affect accommodation greatly, as 'giant' rabbits can weigh anything from approx 5-11kg, which is a massive size difference.

Thanks for the advice.
He is a British giant I believe, though I wasn't even told that when I bought him. I don't actually know what his weight is, he was neutered and weighed in January but I have no idea what the weight was. He hated being weighed. :(

The playhouse is definitely tall enough for him, and he can lie in it stretched out. So if I were to get another high run, that would be big enough, double the run that he has now?

It's worth noting also that he would be brought inside every evening with full run of the house, I don't want people to think that I mistreat my rabbit. :cry:

I agree pets at home should be much more responsible about telling people the necessary sizes. The playhouse is great, but the run is too small for Benji. I don't think you need to replace the playhouse if he has 24/7 hour access to a run - the '3 hops' thing is only if they're ever shut in it.

Unfortunately the new girls setup is definitely too small - the hutch is way too small and the run is inadequate too.

Are you going to bond Benji and the new girl? If so, it may be best to get an 8 x 6 or 8 x 4 or bigger run, attach that to the playhouse and keep the girl indoors before you bond. Then when bonded they can both go in the bigger setup which will be perfect. Unfortunately because Benji is a giant, you'll want 3 ft high one (as I'm sure you already know as you made his current one taller). This is the best place to get pre-made, 3ft runs and they're pretty reasonably priced http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/3ft_high_runs/cat1466126_1727923.aspx.

Rather than buying a new hutch and 2 new runs, it'd pay you to just get as big of a run as you can manage and keep the girl inside until you bond. Where are you getting her from? Rescues often will bond for you so you can avoid having to buy new accommodation. You may have to wait a few weeks extra until they have time to bond them, but at least you save having to buy a whole new setup.

Great advice, but I'd say the run needs to be bigger than 8x6, as I have an 8x6 run and even when it was empty it wasn't big enough for Barney (3.65kg so large not a giant) to build up to full speed and have a run about.

I am going to bond them yes.
I have an idea, that perhaps I could buy a large indoor cage for April, because Benji is only allowed to stay inside as he is litter trained (I live with my dad and I don't want them to ruin the carpet). While she inside, I could buy a 8 x 6 or 6 x 6 run, get rid of the small hutch, and then when they are bonded, they can share the playhouse and have the run attached to Benji's shed plus the new 8 x 6/6 x 6 one?

I am getting her from an animal sanctuary, they didn't offer to do any bonding for us. :(

I won't put them outside until it is right.. I do love my rabbits.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
He is a British giant I believe, though I wasn't even told that when I bought him. I don't actually know what his weight is, he was neutered and weighed in January but I have no idea what the weight was. He hated being weighed. :(

The playhouse is definitely tall enough for him, and he can lie in it stretched out. So if I were to get another high run, that would be big enough, double the run that he has now?

It's worth noting also that he would be brought inside every evening with full run of the house, I don't want people to think that I mistreat my rabbit. :cry:

Noone thinks you are mistreating him, don't worry. I know you care because you are asking and taking on advice - you would only be mistreating him if you refused to accept our advice and carried on regardless. So don't worry :)

Google is telling me British Giants are 5.5-7kg, so that is a very big bunny! It would be good if you could find out his weight, as a rabbit's weight should be monitored anyway as a general health check.

I'm afraid I have no experience of keeping giants, but personally, if I was to have a setup for one that size, I'd go for at least 10ftx7ft run. The 4ft height I think should be fine, but again I'm not sure how high a rabbit that big can binky.

Personally, I have a large rabbit who is 3.65kg, paired with a 2.2kg bun, and they have 48sqft (an 8ftx6ft run) and I find that, because of the 3.65kg bun's size, he cannot really build up speed in it, or have a real run around. It takes only about 4 normal hops for him to cross the entire run. (It was only meant to be temporary and they will be moving inside as soon as I can get a better job and move house.) Your bun will be around twice the size of mine, so you want a much bigger run than I have, really. Some time free-ranging every day would be good, is that possible?

Bear in mind that, whilst you can bring him in during the summer, the temperature change from outdoors to indoors in the winter could cause health problems and stress, so that wouldn't be an option in the winter.

I am going to bond them yes.
I have an idea, that perhaps I could buy a large indoor cage for April, because Benji is only allowed to stay inside as he is litter trained (I live with my dad and I don't want them to ruin the carpet). While she inside, I could buy a 8 x 6 or 6 x 6 run, get rid of the small hutch, and then when they are bonded, they can share the playhouse and have the run attached to Benji's shed plus the new 8 x 6/6 x 6 one?

I am getting her from an animal sanctuary, they didn't offer to do any bonding for us. :(

I won't put them outside until it is right.. I do love my rabbits.

That sounds good! Indoor cages are pretty rubbish sizes for rabbits, but you could use that smaller run as a base for her or a set of puppy panels. That'd give her a decent size base for a few weeks or so. Although if I were you could do I'd do the bonding inside immediately when you get her, then put them straight outside so you never have 2 setups to work with. Avoids you having to spend any money too! Although you will want to wait until it warms up a bit in a month or so really before you put them out.

If you change your title to 'Is this big enough for a giant rabbit?' you may get some of the giant bunny owners looking, as they've obviously got more experience with giants.

Noone thinks you are mistreating him, don't worry. I know you care because you are asking and taking on advice - you would only be mistreating him if you refused to accept our advice and carried on regardless. So don't worry :)

Google is telling me British Giants are 5.5-7kg, so that is a very big bunny! It would be good if you could find out his weight, as a rabbit's weight should be monitored anyway as a general health check.

I'm afraid I have no experience of keeping giants, but personally, if I was to have a setup for one that size, I'd go for at least 10ftx7ft run. The 4ft height I think should be fine, but again I'm not sure how high a rabbit that big can binky.

Personally, I have a large rabbit who is 3.65kg, paired with a 2.2kg bun, and they have 48sqft (an 8ftx6ft run) and I find that, because of the 3.65kg bun's size, he cannot really build up speed in it, or have a real run around. It takes only about 4 normal hops for him to cross the entire run. (It was only meant to be temporary and they will be moving inside as soon as I can get a better job and move house.) Your bun will be around twice the size of mine, so you want a much bigger run than I have, really. Some time free-ranging every day would be good, is that possible?

Bear in mind that, whilst you can bring him in during the summer, the temperature change from outdoors to indoors in the winter could cause health problems and stress, so that wouldn't be an option in the winter.

I did ask the vet last week to check his size to make sure he wasn't getting overweight. :)
I will try and find out his weight if possible.
He actually rarely binkies, but yes, the run he has now would be high enough when he does.

I've never let him free range in the garden because I worry he could dig out, but I will ask my dad if there are any gaps in any fence. The weather has been too cold for him up until now anyway! I actually brought him inside during winter because of the temperature difference, so hopefully next winter I should be able to do the same.

Ok, so from the advice I understand that they will need the high run Benji has now, plus another 6 x 6 or 8 x 6 run. :)

And that I could use the small run as a temporary indoor home for April, until I have sorted the big new run sorted.

If you change your title to 'Is this big enough for a giant rabbit?' you may get some of the giant bunny owners looking, as they've obviously got more experience with giants.

I don't think I really need anymore advice now!
I've got a plan sorted, thanks to you guys.

I appreciate that people aren't judging me for my naivety in trusting P@H, when I bought Benji I really did ask about things to make sure he had everything he needed. I would in no way ever put my rabbit into a home knowing that it wasn't suitable. It's lucky that I love my bunny enough to have joined this forum, otherwise I would never have known.

Last edited:
Back