• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heartbroken-had to split bunnies

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
My 2 big bunnies milly and Casper have been together for almost a year but the past couple of months they have started fighting. It's always happened when out in the garden so I put it down to being able to smell my other bunnies and them getting territorial or confused. Last week they had a bad fight and milly got badly bitten on her ear several times and I was very concerned.

Today however was different as they started to fight whilst inside for no apparent reason and they weren't goin g to stop!! I have a broken leg so my oh got in and sorted them out but I new instantly I had to split them as just can't trust them. Luckily I had a spare enclosure.

It couldn't have come at a worse time as with my broken leg I can't get into the shed as you have to step in and my o/h has been taking care if them. I'm unable to keep a close eye on them so afraid to leave em together incase they really hurt each other or worse!

I fell terrible but know I've done the right thing but just hope they will be ok on their own... I keep reminding myself that they are safe! I just wonder if ill ver be able to trust them again if I try to rebind them.

Sorry just needed to share as my o/h doesn't understand how gutted I am!

Oh no :( Maybe its spring fever, its all kicking off with mine too but so far nothing as serious. maybe later in the year and when your leg is healed you can try again?

It might also be worth getting them vet checked as its possible one is poorly and the other is picking up on it??

I agree, get them vet checked - things always get a little tense with my two when there is a change in their health. I take it they are neutered? Are they fighting over something in particular, or a particular area at all?

Can you put up a tall barrier in the shed, like a pen, so that they can still see and smell each other but can't fight? This will preserve their bond so that you won't have to bond them from scratch when you put them back together.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Maybe when you are better you'll be able to re-bond. They did seem to really like each other. :love:

It could just be the effect of spring but when you are unable to monitor them closely separation is the best solution in the meantime.

Hugs. xxx

Oh how upsetting, i'm so sorry :cry: maybe when you're better you can start from scratch and rebond them, you never know xxx

Thanks everyone!

I got milly as a baby last year and she is a feisty girl and does attack me when she's in a bad mood. I do think its her age and the time of year as they are both neutered and have had a wonderful bond until recently and never fought! Its so upsetting! I'm trying not to worry too much at the moment as I am stressed enough but with her being as she is I really don't know whether she would bond from scratch.

I am going to look at whether we can do something in the enclosure so they can see each other but its not a quick or easy job and would mean they would both have a lot less space... What to do??

Thanks everyone!

I got milly as a baby last year and she is a feisty girl and does attack me when she's in a bad mood. I do think its her age and the time of year as they are both neutered and have had a wonderful bond until recently and never fought! Its so upsetting! I'm trying not to worry too much at the moment as I am stressed enough but with her being as she is I really don't know whether she would bond from scratch.

I am going to look at whether we can do something in the enclosure so they can see each other but its not a quick or easy job and would mean they would both have a lot less space... What to do??

A puppy pen that is tall enough for her not to jump out of would be a good solution.

Thanks everyone!

would of sad spring fever too, rosie was exactly the same, shed fly at mowgli and he's be petrified he used to jump on bed and hide behind me, in his last year, she went for him but as he was blind he screamed, it was awful, separated for a while as you have done and then reintroduced them slowly, though they could still see each other when not together

hope they get back together ok

Back