• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fatty tissue around rabbits teat

Graciem

New Kit
Hi everyone,

wondered if anyone has come across this. My rabbit is 3 year old french lop and i have had 2 healthy previous litters with her, I recently tried again but it seems as it was unsucsessful as it is now her 37th day:cry:

I have noticed that she has developed a fatty lump around one of her teats that is spreading rather than growing outwards. She is eating and drinking well and seems fine in herself.

I took her to the vets today which i can only describe as a waste of time:( basically they did not give any diagnosis and recommend i go back next week for a ultra sound.

The fatty tissue is mobile when you feel it and it doesn't feel hot.

Any help would be very much appreciated

many thanks

She is 3 years old and unspayed.
I am no vet but this does sound like it could be a mammary tumour.
It has been proven that unspayed rabbits over the age of 3 years old 80% o them will contract uterine cancer and potentially other cancers if not detected early enough.

Where abouts do you live and I'll post a thread in rabbit chat for you to find a rabbit savvy vet in your area.
You'll want to deal with this quickly so it doesn't spread too far. ( if it is cancer) and if it isn't you'll want to find out what it is.
It would also be an excellant idea to think about spaying her.
With over 67,000 rabbits already in rescue in need of good homes there really is no need to continue adding to that number by breeding.

She is 3 years old and unspayed.
I am no vet but this does sound like it could be a mammary tumour.
It has been proven that unspayed rabbits over the age of 3 years old 80% o them will contract uterine cancer and potentially other cancers if not detected early enough.

Where abouts do you live and I'll post a thread in rabbit chat for you to find a rabbit savvy vet in your area.
You'll want to deal with this quickly so it doesn't spread too far. ( if it is cancer) and if it isn't you'll want to find out what it is.
It would also be an excellant idea to think about spaying her.
With over 67,000 rabbits already in rescue in need of good homes there really is no need to continue adding to that number by breeding.

This.
Also, this could be what the vet is concerned about - hence the suggestion of an ultrasound.

Just found this from the thread Natsusakura started for you. :wave:

I have no advice on the problem, sorry, but William Lewis is a really good exotics vet in Brentwood, if you wanted to seek a second opinion. http://www.orchidvets.co.uk/home/ I think it's probably about half an hour from Rayleigh but well worth the journey if it's do-able for you. :D

You could try South Beech vets at Wickford. I used to go there, but the vets are completely different now. I've no idea what they are like now, but they used to take referrals from other vets for rabbits.

She's at the vets at the moment, there having another opinion on the ultra sound, but hoping it just an infection nothing to serious like cancer:(

I've just got back from the vets, its cystic mastitis she's on antibiotics and i am considering having her neutered. Rose looks relieved to be back home!!!

Thank you for all your comments.

I've just got back from the vets, its cystic mastitis she's on antibiotics and i am considering having her neutered. Rose looks relieved to be back home!!!

I'm so pleased that it is nothing sinister.

oh thank goodness!
How does it happen?

To be honest I think getting her spayed is probably the most sensible idea, it'll stop any future worry and the longer you wait the more likely it is that something worse could crop up.
xxxx

Back