• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pros and cons-

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I spoke to my vet today and we had a long chat and I expressed my concerns regarding VHD and the concern that Jimby may not have responded to the very 1st VHD vaccine.
We have agreed that we will repete Jimby's most recent vaccine and at the same time Cookie will have the combi.
Our vet put an idea foward and I need your thoughts, he has said that he can take some blood and send it off to find out the immune teter.
If it is above a certain level we will then be reassured that they have 100% immunity and I do not need to worry. That way I will have the certificate to reasure me.

I need to figure out wheter it would
A. Be a good idea and the discomfort to get the blood would be worth finding out?
B. How would I cope if we get a negative result?
C. Would it be cruel to do something that will benefit me?

Getting it done- if we get it done and it comes back positive it could potentially change my life for the better
Getting it done- and getting a negative, how would I cope with that?
Not getting it done- I continue to worry about them and I am still unable to cope and get help
Obviously I know it wouldnt be nice for them but is it likely to traumatize them or do the pros of getting it done outweigh the cons?

Personally, no I don't think it would be a good idea. Even if it did come back with a perfect titre, the problem is not actually with VHD or Jimby's health, it's with your OCD. So even with the best result, I don't think it would solve anything because I'd have thought your OCD is likely to just find another way to manifest or other reasons as to why you still need to worry. Personally I don't think it's fair on your rabbits to subject them to tests that are purely to calm your OCD rather than there being a genuine clinical reason for them. And of course there is the risk that you don't get the result that you feel is good enough (even if your vet assures you that it's ok) and what then?

I really hope you can get some help and support for your OCD very soon, it must be awful for you and your family living with the constant fear that you do xxx

I don't think it would make any difference what the result was: unfortunately it is your OCD that plays with your mind and it isn't responding to logic.

I do hope you decide to get the help you need - it could well dramatically change for the better your life and the lives of your family (including your rabbits).

ETA I don't think it would be fair to put your rabbits through this procedure just to give you peace of mind - which it wouldn't anyway.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, whilst it would ease my mind, I do have genuine concers about Jimbys immunity so I think it would be beneficial.
I know my OCD is driving the fear but I am pretty confident I would be very reasured being able to see the immune count in black and white. That way when ever my OCD tellsme
'they will get vhd!' or 'if you dont have another bath and wash your hair 10 times they will get vhd!'-yes this is my current life. Also if we geta negative result it means there is a problem with the immune system which would need addressing in the future as the problem were to unfold.
I am fully aware that the OCD will find something else to dig its claws into but if the fear of VHD is lifted it would allow me to accept the psychology help being offered here should London not pan out.

If you get the results back and you see that they are safely immune, will you be happy to accept that with their booster every year they are safe? Or would you want a blood test every year?

The blood test itself is very non-invasive, especially if the vet uses a local anaesthetic cream such as EMLA. Are Jimby and Cookie okay at being handled? If the vet uses EMLA cream and they are happy to be bundled up for a minute or two to get the sample, I can't imagine that it would cause either of them any real problems. I do think it's probably a little unfair to make them go through it every year though, but as a one off or every few years or so I really don't see the harm. Yes it's a non-necessary procedure but if it will enable you to have a greater degree of freedom, I think it's okay. It won't even cause them any pain if they use EMLA cream. It's really not traumatic at all.

Would you get the test done after they've both had their boosters? 3/4 weeks after? Or get them done now to see if they already have the immunity? I think it may help if you had it now to see if they have the immunity, as all the worrying in the past will have been 'for nothing' if they have immunity. I think that will be more effective than having them re-done and then getting the test then.

I can very much see that having the tests there in black and white would help ease your anxiety. N&T have been healthy forever, but I still worry that they might not have 100% efficacy. There is no way to know without a test. Yes, they should be immune... but with them being able to hide illness so well, how does anyone really know? It's not a completely OCD worry. It's justifiable.

If you get the results back and you see that they are safely immune, will you be happy to accept that with their booster every year they are safe? Or would you want a blood test every year?

The blood test itself is very non-invasive, especially if the vet uses a local anaesthetic cream such as EMLA. Are Jimby and Cookie okay at being handled? If the vet uses EMLA cream and they are happy to be bundled up for a minute or two to get the sample, I can't imagine that it would cause either of them any real problems. I do think it's probably a little unfair to make them go through it every year though, but as a one off or every few years or so I really don't see the harm. Yes it's a non-necessary procedure but if it will enable you to have a greater degree of freedom, I think it's okay. It won't even cause them any pain if they use EMLA cream. It's really not traumatic at all.

Would you get the test done after they've both had their boosters? 3/4 weeks after? Or get them done now to see if they already have the immunity? I think it may help if you had it now to see if they have the immunity, as all the worrying in the past will have been 'for nothing' if they have immunity. I think that will be more effective than having them re-done and then getting the test then.

I can very much see that having the tests there in black and white would help ease your anxiety. N&T have been healthy forever, but I still worry that they might not have 100% efficacy. There is no way to know without a test. Yes, they should be immune... but with them being able to hide illness so well, how does anyone really know? It's not a completely OCD worry. It's justifiable.

Thanku hun, this is my view too!
I think it would be a one off, if they have immunity I will then put my trust in the vaccine and be happy that they are safe!
I would have the blood taken first then the vaccine done or would it make much difference as onset of immunity is not establised for at least 5 days so any immunity they have will be from past vaccines!?
They dont like being handled so would be upset but I think with a nurse with a strong grip should be alright. Jims used to have consious dentals. Cookie is probably worse now! But we are currently worming them, Jims loves the laste and will willingly lick it of your finger, Cookie however is a little madam and even if you give it to her on a fenugreek she will eat around it! So we have started pinning her to get it in her mouth so with us doing that every night she may get easier?

Personally, no I don't think it would be a good idea. Even if it did come back with a perfect titre, the problem is not actually with VHD or Jimby's health, it's with your OCD. So even with the best result, I don't think it would solve anything because I'd have thought your OCD is likely to just find another way to manifest or other reasons as to why you still need to worry. Personally I don't think it's fair on your rabbits to subject them to tests that are purely to calm your OCD rather than there being a genuine clinical reason for them. And of course there is the risk that you don't get the result that you feel is good enough (even if your vet assures you that it's ok) and what then?

I really hope you can get some help and support for your OCD very soon, it must be awful for you and your family living with the constant fear that you do xxx

:thumb:

Im sorry I disagree, it is completely OCD related & nothing more, the rabbits have been vaccinated and are therefore covered & won't get VHD, if the immunity test is done what is to say the OCD won't start to tell you that test is inaccurate/wrong? Its just a vicious circle & will not help ease your OCD in anyway, infact, it could have the opposite affect.

Try & concentrate on fighting your OCD rather than VHD (which doesnt need fighting). I know it is hard, I hope you can move forward with it soon.

I agree with Santa.

There's always a chance that a bit later down the line there'll be a VHD outbreak near you and you'll want further reassurances and more tests, so this could be the start of a slippery slope.

There's a risk with any vaccine, human or animal, that the immunity isn't 100%, but few people test themselves.

Sorry to sound negative, I do hope you find a way to deal with these horrible worries soon.

I think it would be a one off, if they have immunity I will then put my trust in the vaccine and be happy that they are safe!
I would have the blood taken first then the vaccine done or would it make much difference as onset of immunity is not establised for at least 5 days so any immunity they have will be from past vaccines!?
They dont like being handled so would be upset but I think with a nurse with a strong grip should be alright. Jims used to have consious dentals. Cookie is probably worse now! But we are currently worming them, Jims loves the laste and will willingly lick it of your finger, Cookie however is a little madam and even if you give it to her on a fenugreek she will eat around it! So we have started pinning her to get it in her mouth so with us doing that every night she may get easier?

Unfortunately you only appear to take notice of posts which agree with your thinking and give you reassurance that the problem is not your OCD. These reassurances do not help you at all - but merely reinforce your OCD.

I hope, as I said in a previous post, that you agree to treatment - otherwise your problems, life and the lives of those around you will continue to be affected in an adverse way.

Sorry but I don't think it's fair on your buns. It your OCD and I think you know it's your OCD deep down you just can't control it (yet). Shown by what is bold and underlined your cant be sure you won't more next week, next month?? I'm sorry Hun but I think you know there's nothing wrong with them:)

I dont think blood testing will make one jot of difference and it will be an unnecessary discomfort for your Rabbits

Whatever the results were to be your OCD would find a way to disbelieve them. The blood test was inaccurate, the blood sample was contaminated during transit, the person doing the test made a mistake.

The ONLY way that you are going to have any chance of feeling 'better' about all this is to address your OCD problems. This should not include putting your Rabbits through an unnecessary procedure, but by hopefully finding a therapeutic regime for yourself either as an in patient or by committing to out patient treatment.

As with my Eating Disorder, the only person who can ultimately help in such problems 'of the mind' is ourselves. It is not fair to put others, be they human or animal, through endless upheaval to support our illness. Because supporting it is exactly what the illness wants to enable it to remain in control. We may not intend to use our illness as a means of controlling others, but that is exactly what happens. To go down the route of unnecessary treatment for a Pet in order to give in to OCD is a step too far. When you get better you will see that for yourself.

It must be terrible for you coping with your OCD. Please think of your buns as previously stated it is you with the problem not them. I don`t mean to sound nasty but you have to see you are putting them through this on the chance you may feel better, further down the line there will be another issue, then another. Tell this awful feeling you will not be taken over by it and you are strong and the love of your buns will prove just how in control you are.

I do apriciate peoples opinions but the one thing that is most definitly NOT OCD is my genuine concern for Jimby. As I have mentioned, when Jimby had his very first VHD vaccine he had an awful reaction and was hospitalised for 4 days so I have a genuine concern that he may have been compramised.
In getting these tests (providing a positive) would ENABLE me to get the help needed!

I do apriciate peoples opinions but the one thing that is most definitly NOT OCD is my genuine concern for Jimby. As I have mentioned, when Jimby had his very first VHD vaccine he had an awful reaction and was hospitalised for 4 days so I have a genuine concern that he may have been compramised.
In getting these tests (providing a positive) would ENABLE me to get the help needed!

I'm sorry to hear Jimby had a bad reaction with his VHD jab. Has he had other ones since?

Im afraid only you can make the decision. People have given their thoughts and don't feel it will help you or your rabbit in anyway. It is OCD as most would trust their vets opinion and that their rabbit is covered, you ate constantly questioning and thinking about it because of the OCD. If you got it done you would only think of other things to question. There is then the question of future jabs, would you want the resistance tested ever time? Most probably.

It wouldnt enable you to get better, however much you think it will, only you can do that, not a VHD resistance test.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. But you asked the question and people have given you honest responses. It's your choice whether you choose follow the advice given.

How would this enable you to get the OCD help you need?

Does a bad reaction to a VHD vaccination imply a compromised immunity to it? I hadn't heard that before. :? I'm not trying to argue etc, just genuinely interested.

I thought it was more if the rabbit wasn't in good health before the vaccination that it is less likely to be effective.

[/B]

How would this enable you to get the OCD help you need?

The whole reason I can not accept the help on offer from my CMHT is because my intense fear of VHD is stopping me, because they will not answer the question about where they have been- Woking/Kidderminster.
If the tests are done and its positive I would then know that they are not going to get it and I can accept the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back