• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Practical advice on cleaning Grimlock's nose *warning snotty picture*

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
The first thing I do when I come home from work is sort out my Grim. I clean his nose and eyes, give him his medication and put him in his nebuliser.

Over the course of the day his nose gets very snotty. He has wet snot coming out and around his nostrils and dry snot on the outside. To clean it off I have to soak the dried up snot before I pull it off otherwise I'd just rip off his skin and fur. However he's so bunged up that the water drips over his nose and he can't breathe so he gets extremely stressed out. He lunges, head butts and bites me. He hasn't got any teeth so I let him. Snot gets everywhere and I usually have to change my clothes afterwards. :?

To explain it better here's a picture of my poor little man today before I cleaned him up. This is the worst he gets. It ranges from just a bit of dried snot around the edges to this when all the infection is coming out.

2013-04-09185836_zpsc56d94e8.jpg

I really need some idea on how to clean his nose without getting water all over it so he doesn't breathe in the water. I've tried with less water but I just hurt him pulling it off and made him bleed twice so I had to stop that. I'm not sure it can be done another way so any ideas you have, no matter how crazy, please share. I don't like my Grim getting so stressed. :(

I can't help but wanted to say huge hugs for you all.. What a poor wee soul.. hope he recovers soon
that looks so uncomfortable

fee x

I tend to have to the same problem though Grims nose is far worse, apart from drying it off as much as you can first with cotton pads then trying with something like hibiscrub im not sure

Not sure if it's practical, maybe discuss it with the vet. But with the other end, I'd be suggesting shaving (or trimming) and I wonder if the same thing would work here. Just literally a circle covering the patch covered in snot in the picture. He'd look daft but if it meant the snot clumped a little further out it might make cleaning/breathing easier.

Not sure if it's practical, maybe discuss it with the vet. But with the other end, I'd be suggesting shaving (or trimming) and I wonder if the same thing would work here. Just literally a circle covering the patch covered in snot in the picture. He'd look daft but if it meant the snot clumped a little further out it might make cleaning/breathing easier.

My vet regularly shaves the fur under Busters eye because of it matting, it does make it easier to clean the gunk

Shaving sounds good. :thumb:
I'll speak to the vet but he would probably have to be sedated because he literally can't stand anyone going near his nose.

I can't believe I didn't think of wiping away the wet stuff first, I'll do that too. It's quite thick and mixed with fur and sometimes the fur is also in the dry stuff but I'll definitely try it.

I've tried to put F10 barrier cream on his nose too but it doesn't really do much. I think he licks it off. As he's got no front teeth he sticks his tounge all the way up his hare lip to lick his nose. :love:

I just wish he could get better somehow. :(

Thank you for all your replies.

Back