• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Working and having a 9 week old bunny

Hello,

I have just bought a nine week old mini lop. He has settled in well. He lives outside and when I go to his cage he hops on my lap and I give him a treat and I am able to pick him up. I bring him in the house for play times but at the moment he is in a pen inside whilst he gets used to the house. I am a teacher on Easter holidays so I am giving him lots if attention at the moment but I am thinking about when I go back to work next week.

I am thinking on a morning I will go out and let him have a vegetable on my lap and a stroke to keep him tame and then on an evening get him out for a few hours to play and then put him back in his hutch and give him dinner. Do you think that would be ok?

Also my parents have a dog who comes to stay when my parents are away. What is the best way of getting them used to each other. I will never let them loose together but is it ok for them to see each other through the bars?

Many thanks,
Laura.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laura,

That sounds fine for your routine, it's good to check morning and evening to make sure they are eating and there are no problems and he'll enjoy the fuss.

In the slightly longer term, you might want to consider neutering him and introducing a female rabbit for companionship, that way he's someone to snuggle with overnight or when you are working. Rabbits can be neutered once their testicles drop around 14-16 weeks. Rabbits, particularly those outside need vaccinating against myxomatosis so if you get that done you can ask the vet about neutering services while you are there :)

As he won't see the dog much, you could get a blanket the dogs slept on and bring that home so he can get used to the scent.

Tamsin

Sorry, saw you're post earlier but couldn't do a big reply on my mobile.

The dog it really depends on the bunny. For some it will be a big stressor, others will be ok with it. Personally I keep mine away from dogs as much as I can as they aren't used to them at all and one gets quite easily stressed.

Try not to bring him in too much while the weather is cold, the constant temperature changes can cause problems with their respiratory systems and cause infections. Could you attach a tall run or aviary so that you could sit with him in there?

Back