• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

couldn't resist a pet shop bunny

Catherine896

Young Bun
I am getting a 7 month old neutered french lop tomorrow, and have been making plans to get him a friend in the future.

Yesterday I decided to go in a pet shop near me and they had the most beautiful little ball of fluff, I couldn't resist her :oops: She was bred by a family member of the shop owner.

Last night I was offered my friends 10 week old french lop buck, he only got him last week but the partner doesn't want him.... I said no as I am supposed to be getting the already neutered one tomorrow and don't have space for both, but which will be better to try and bond with my new girl? Obviously she will need to be spayed when old enough, and the 10 week old buck would need to be neutered soon. So once she has been spayed, she would be 6-7 months, the older buck would then be 12-13 months, would they bond OK with the age difference? I know they might never bond, thats fine as I was going to be getting a small bunny anyway so if they did bond its just a bonus to me.

Can they meet before she is spayed or should I keep them well away from each other until she has been spayed?

Thank alot :)

he only got him last week but the partner doesn't want him....

This makes me so sad :cry:

You shouldn't put rabbits together before they are both neutered really, so best to wait to avoid risking aggression which could affect the bond in the long-term.

Where is the original French Lop coming from? Is he from a rescue centre which you have been homechecked by etc?

I personally wouldn't get a bunny from a pet shop, so if it was me, I wouldn't take that bunny because there are so many rabbits in rescue, but you have clearly fallen in love with her so it has to be your decision.

What will happen to your friend's french lop if you don't take him?

A male/female pairing usually works best (both neutered). Going by the information given, and assuming that the original French Lop is not from a rescue centre, I might take your friend's bunny have him neutered, and then approach a rescue centre to adopt a female partner for him.

Yeah I know I did say to him are you sure your partner wants him etc but he was adamant he would :(

The one I am getting tomorrow is from a breeder, from what I gather he has been used for training vet students so is used to being handled by lots of people and is a very laid back bunny.

My friends one will be going back to the breeder if they decide they definitely don't want him, although I am trying to persuade them to keep him but I don't think thats likely.

The pet shop I got the little one from yesterday aren't too bad, the rabbits they had were bred by the owners sister. I wouldn't get a rabbit from a big pet shop like pets at home etc.

Basically I have to choose which male would be better to have as her potential future partner now.

Thanks for the help :)

I am getting a 7 month old neutered french lop tomorrow, and have been making plans to get him a friend in the future.

Yesterday I decided to go in a pet shop near me and they had the most beautiful little ball of fluff, I couldn't resist her :oops: She was bred by a family member of the shop owner.

Last night I was offered my friends 10 week old french lop buck, he only got him last week but the partner doesn't want him.... I said no as I am supposed to be getting the already neutered one tomorrow and don't have space for both, but which will be better to try and bond with my new girl? Obviously she will need to be spayed when old enough, and the 10 week old buck would need to be neutered soon. So once she has been spayed, she would be 6-7 months, the older buck would then be 12-13 months, would they bond OK with the age difference? I know they might never bond, thats fine as I was going to be getting a small bunny anyway so if they did bond its just a bonus to me.

Can they meet before she is spayed or should I keep them well away from each other until she has been spayed?

Thank alot :)

i bonded a 6 month old ans a 2 year old and there inseprable now

Sorry, I'd misread and didn't realise you already had the pet shop bunny. It's great that you are trying to work out the best partner for her :)

I would still advise going to a rescue rather than a breeder to find her perfect partner. Rescues will help you to match up the personalities of the bunnies, and if the bond doesn't work out they will take back the bun to find another good home. Also many good rescues will do the bonding for you (which takes the most stressful bit out of the equation for you!).

Good luck in finding the right friend for your bunny :)

Thank you, I really love the look of the older buck, he looks like he just needs to be squeezed in his pics he is so cute and chunky lol.

Would they both be able to have free roam in the same room at seperate times? They would obviously be able to smell the other all the time?

Sorry, I'd misread and didn't realise you already had the pet shop bunny. It's great that you are trying to work out the best partner for her :)

I would still advise going to a rescue rather than a breeder to find her perfect partner. Rescues will help you to match up the personalities of the bunnies, and if the bond doesn't work out they will take back the bun to find another good home. Also many good rescues will do the bonding for you (which takes the most stressful bit out of the equation for you!).

Good luck in finding the right friend for your bunny :)

Thanks, yes thats what I was thinking at least if a rescue bunny didn't work out, they could take him back and try the next one. I partly feel like the older buck is a rehome though if you know what I mean, as he hasn't been a 'pet' yet he has been used for training students and now they have finished he needs a home. Too many cute bunnies in the world :(

Thanks, yes thats what I was thinking at least if a rescue bunny didn't work out, they could take him back and try the next one. I partly feel like the older buck is a rehome though if you know what I mean, as he hasn't been a 'pet' yet he has been used for training students and now they have finished he needs a home. Too many cute bunnies in the world :(

oh that one sounds so sweet and he deserves a lovely home! :love:..i vote you should give this fella his forever home :D

I vote for the rescue rabbit. Already neutered means more spare cash for rabbit runs or indeed anything else (phone bill, council tax...). Best of luck with your decision. pics please :wave:

thing is with rescue bunny he has already been rescued he is in a safe environment and will find a loving home, the other one is still waiting there is the extra expense of neuter around £58.00 but the satisfaction you will get through giving him a great home is priceless ;)

Good point JWR. That sounds lovely and cheap for a neuter. Mine were over 80 each, but I know prices vary considerably.

Good point JWR. That sounds lovely and cheap for a neuter. Mine were over 80 each, but I know prices vary considerably.

wow thats expensive for a buck! my doe cost around that price , but vets basically charge what they want to and do differ dramatically ...

Neither of the bucks are actually rescues, the older one is with his breeder still, but has been being used for training students, now they have finished with him his breeder is looking for a good home for him. He feels like a rehome bun to me as obviously he is older and not had a new home yet.

The young one my friend got last week for his partner, but his partner doesn't want him so is probably going back to the breeder of him.

I think I prefer the sound of the older buck as he is already neutered, and is obviously used to lots of handling and new situations/people.

I don't know its hard, I think I am worried that they wouldn't get along with my doe when she is ready to meet them, but then thats a risk with all rabbits anyway. I hate making decisions lol :evil:

Neither of the bucks are actually rescues, the older one is with his breeder still, but has been being used for training students, now they have finished with him his breeder is looking for a good home for him. He feels like a rehome bun to me as obviously he is older and not had a new home yet.

The young one my friend got last week for his partner, but his partner doesn't want him so is probably going back to the breeder of him.

I think I prefer the sound of the older buck as he is already neutered, and is obviously used to lots of handling and new situations/people.

I don't know its hard, I think I am worried that they wouldn't get along with my doe when she is ready to meet them, but then thats a risk with all rabbits anyway. I hate making decisions lol :evil:

go with your gut instinct and your right its always a risk with rabbits...im looking for a doe to go with my mini lop buck he is neutered and very laid back just waiting for the right doe to come along im planning to go for a baby or a retired breeding doe ....

Back