• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fidget has hurt her her foot - Update 16/05/13 - the plot thickens!

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure what she's done, but she isn't keen to put her weight on her rear left foot. She's still eating and drinking and using her litter tray normally (thankfully) and doesn't look too uncomfortable (she's not hunched up or grinding her teeth or anything) but she keeps moving as if to run towards me then stopping and thinking better of it.

I've made sure hay, pellets and water are within reach and I'll be making an appointment with the vets as soon as they open. Fidget has never been to the vets for anything other than routine stuff in her life (she's 8 in August). So fortunate that I'm off work already today!

She's my little best pal and I would be lost without her I really would. Given that she's eating out and bright hopefully it's nothing too serious but it's not the same without her tearing around like a lunatic.

Last edited:
Thank you, me too. :wave:

She's a bossy little madam and I :love: her. I'm not used to her not following me around being naughty :lol:.

Aww thank you everyone :D:wave:.

The vet thinks that she has sustained a muscular or ligament injury to her hip. No fractures and no injury to her foot. She's in some pain, hence holding her foot up, but is still eating well and drinking so I've left without pain relief. If she gets worse or she goes off her food I'll go back and pick some pain relief up for her. Hopefully it'll improve within a week or two but if not I'll take her back for more investigation.

I think I was more traumatised by the experience than Fidget to be honest :lol:.

UPDATE 01/05/2013 For the first week or so after we took her to the vets she did put her leg down and I stopped worrying. She's gradually started refusing to put her foot down again and now is holding it up off the ground constantly. Personality-wise she's the same as ever - still eating and drinking normally and has become very adept at getting around on three legs, but it is really worrying me. It's a strange one. If she was in lots of pain I'd expect her to have stopped eating and for there to be changes in her behaviour. She is still fine being stroked (even in her hip area, which is the affected area), there is no outward sign of inflammation, she's as cheeky as ever, but she can't stand on her back legs or jump up :(.

She's started on anti-inflammatories and the vet has advised we can x-ray it, which will be the next stage, which is also a big worry as it involves a GA. If we see no improvement with the anti-inflammatories she'll be going in for x-rays next week.

Wee soul, hope she gets better :)

When Herbie had his X-Ray for his broken toe they were able to X-Ray him without GA as he was just so still and just sat on the table :)

Thank you :D.; Fortunately she seems to like metacam (provided it is presented to her with a piece of strawberry or banana :roll:), but it doesn't seem to be making any difference yet :(.

Metacam was making no difference and although she is still perfectly normal, eating well and hopping around, x-rays have revealed that she has a fracture :cry:.

The vet was surprised, given that there have been no changes to her personality or appetite. Fortunately it appears to be a simple break so she's being prepped for surgery now. I think they'll be pinning it.

I feel really bad that she's been on a broken leg/hip for so long :cry:. I thought we were doing the right thing by not putting her under GA and I guess we would have been had it actually been a muscular injury.

She's a resilient little thing, nothing stresses her (not even a broken bone!) so here's hoping the surgery goes well.

Back