• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We have, reluctantly, agreed to take in another rabbit. The owner contacted us a few months ago as his kids were not looking after her. He said he had a rabbit as a kid he loved and wanted his kids to experience the same thing, and did sound quite upset they were not caring for the girl. He was feeding her, etc but did not want her sitting at the bottom of the garden, alone. I said 'no' because she did not fit our criteria- she was a young healthy rabbit, who was not in any real risk.
He called today again to say he was desperate as he and his wife were now splitting up, the few rescues up here are full, as are we but what can you do in these circumstances. He says he will pay to get her neutered and will pay for her vaccine this year- so we collect her tomorrow night.
In reality it's a really stupid thing to do because we are really at our limit financially and physically- but what the hell can you do when people are splitting up and they have 4 kids to consider as well as the pets. 😞

Well, you are a very thoughtful and kind person! It was nice of him to offer to pay for the buns op and vaccs though :thumb:

That's really good of you to take this poor bunny in though, and he does sound like he is trying to do the very best he can for her, and is willing to pay for things that would cost you a lot. So it is nice to hear that for a change.

Well,' Cuddles' arrived this evening and she's not cuddly. She's quite big and not been handled. Still in a better situation than many as she has a 4ft hutch with a permanently attached 4 by 4 run underneath. She is clean and was vaccinated when they got her a year ago. The owner handed over money as we left to cover vaccinations and spaying- so at least she was cared for.

well i hope she has a good future ahead of her. you are a good soul...

Sorry I missed this before, but well done for taking her in ... and it's encouraging that her previous owner had awareness of her needs and a sense of responsibility.

Aww poor little bun being on her own, responsible ownership in a way that he didn't just advertise her as free on a pet site or just give her away to just anyone, he took the time to contact people who he knew would take care of her and even pay to give her the best possible chance in life, not everyone would be quite so caring although I couldn't imagine parting with any of my furbabies!

You do a wonderful thing and make a difference to so many, I'd love to rescue and rehome but with work I wouldn't have the time for all the cleaning out, it's a lot of work with the 10 chinchillas and 3 buns I have plus I wouldn't be so good at the rehoming part... I took in 2 chinchilla sisters a year and a half ago because they were starved and in a terrible mess, fed them up and nursed them back to health and they are still with me, I couldn't part with them! Lol

Back