• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay advice please

jazxo

Mama Doe
Just got a few questions to ask.

What shall I do if she over grooms her wound?

I know I shouldn't have hay or anything that can perforate her wound on the floor so I was thinking just blankets and towels?

Will she be able to hop into her litter tray or shall I not encourage her to do so? (It's a low sided plastic under bed storage box)

Where shall I put her for her to eat? She won't eat from a hay rack.

General advice and tips for when I get her home would be great please.

We recently have rose spayed (nearly two weeks ago) - she got excited with her stitches and pulled some out which gave her an infection (stoopid bunnies!) I don't think there is much we could have done about it though to be honest so I would just suggest regular wound checks (we did it twice a day - the infection literally sprang up over night, fine one night crappy the next morning). We had pre-plannedwound checks on day 3 and day 10 but our vets were happy for us to go up anytime if we were concerned.

We timed the spay so it fell at a time when we had a few days off that way we could keep a close eye on her.

flooring - we had blankets (I gave her crate a full disinfect and clean while she was having her surgery too.

Litter box: rose hopped in and out just fine but we had it inside her crate with the door locked shut initially so she didn't do too much other running around. We tried leaving the hay out but found she wouldn't use it with just newspaper so in the end gave in and put a small amount of hay in for comfort and familiarity but changed it regularly and kept an eye on her. She wasn't eating or pooing post-spay so we decided that familiarity and comfort to encourage her to go was a trade off worth making

Rose also isn't keen on a hay rack - she'll eat abit but 99% of her hay gets eaten from the floor. We put her hay on the floor in small piles so she wouldn't climb all over it - also put some in toilet roll tubes

My main advice would be:
- ensure you come home with additional pain relief and have your vet/emergency vets number to hand in case you need to call for advice re: doses (out ver vet said the pain relief jab should be enough to last till next morning but it wasn't. They gave us extra pain relief just incase and I called the emergency vet for advice re:dose)
- have recovery food available - rose ate like mad at the vets but once we got her home it stopped so syringe fed her 2hrly for 6 or so hours, after which she perked up when extra pain relief started working
-be prepared not to sleep lol - we set alarms to check on her every 2hrs incase there was a problem!
- have a hot water bottle handy - when she wasn't eating she was cold, so we sat her on a lap on a ht water bottle wrapped in a towel. Dont know if really helped much but made me feel better hahaha
- have a selection of her favourite foods available. We let rose eat pretty much eat whatever she wanted for the first 24-36hrs!

Hmmm - sorry that was long! Hope that helps!

Hi there! When Pippin is at the Vets, clean her area very well and keep her quiet when she comes home. It is best if she doesn't have to jump into a litter tray unless it is just a couple of inches high. You can give her some hay unless your Vets say not to. She won't want to eat much for a day or so but tempt her with some grass or her fav veg. Most rabbits remove one or two of their stitches but the Vet doesn't worry. I picked up a female from being spayed a few weeks ago and she had already removed her stitches so they were just stapling her together when I arrived! This is unusual though. You shouldn't need a hot water bottle or she will be too warm and uncomfortable. If she is easy to handle, check her morning and night very carefully, and that's it! Don't let her run around or jump on anything until she has her stitches out . Good luck and hope it all goes really well.

I have kept mine confined to a cage on towels which I have changed when soiled. I did not use a litter tray. I had hay in a wire rack which could be easily reached and water in a bowl. I gave metacam via syringe to the side of the mouth which they happily took as they like the taste. Kept trying with different foods to tempt them. Left the cage in the spare room where it was quiet. Checked would first thing in the morning and last thing at night to ensure it did not look agitated or infected and that it didn't feel hot (heat usually means infection) and of course that no bun had attempted to nibble on them. Good Luck.

Back