• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies and garden playtime.

aatkin

Warren Scout
Hi there,

We have spent the whole weekend landscaping in our garden and it is finally starting to LOOK like a garden (opposed to a construction site). It should be nearly done (aside from continuing to plant, grow, etc) by the end of next weekend, as our final delivery of slate is later this week.

Now, I have two indoor buns and I would LOVE for them to be able to play in our garden (supervised of course) when the weather is nice. However, I have a couple of problems:

1) They are allowed free-range of the house, but they have never been downstairs (I don't even know if they can work the stairs). This is fine, but in order for them to go out - the door to the garden is in the kitchen, which is downstairs. So... would I have to get them to go into their carrier, then take them out into the garden directly? Would this stress them out? They seem very happy upstairs and we've given up trying to encourage them downstairs, figuring they'll do it on their own if they want.

2) Our garden is not entirely enclosed - there is a small gap between our neighbours fence and ours for access. I could block this off temporarily pretty easily, but the back of our garden also has things like an old shed and behind this things like a motorbike, etc, which I wouldn't want them to be around for safety. Is there a way to let them play in the garden, but be contained to only a section? We use a puppy pen indoors for their HQ when they need to be shut-in (but it's opened up, opposed to 'pen' shaped). I think I would rather something like this, so they can binky (opposed to lots of the fold-up runs, which aren't very tall)... but is it big enough for a proper playtime (and how do I make sure they don't get too excited and jump out)?

Any suggestions are muchos appreciated!

My garden is secure as in they can't get out anywhere , but I always just block off behind the sheds so they can't get behind but if they are out in the garden free ranging then so am I , I always stay out there while they are out , and I just pick mine up and carry them outside then pick them up to bring them back inside :wave:

Doughnut is downstairs but I still take her in her carrier out to the garden as she hates being picked up and it's easier and less stressful. She jumps in the carrier and I pop her in her enclosure.

She has a large metal enclosure which i got from Ebay. It has a metal top too. She binkies in there and runs really fast. I just keep my eye on her but I don't have to stay out there as nothing can get to her. She has a little tent in there and a tunnel and I put a few fold down chairs around so cats can't get that close to her and I can get on doing other stuff but check every few minutes. She then can't nibble my flowers as a lot of them are bulbs so poisonous and I also have decking which she would probably try and go under.

I prefer her to be enclosed as know she is safe.

With stairs I have always found bunnies prefere to go up than down. Have you tired putting them at the bottom of the stairs and enticing them up as opposed to down? Once they are sed to going up them they are more likely to try venturing down.

My two outdoor bunnies free range every day. My house bunny only goes out in summer but he loves having a run around the garden.

Back