• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doing the right thing for Grimlock feels like I'm being mean

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
:?

Since he's gone almost completely blind he feels a lot safer in small enclosed spaces. At first it was carry cases and he'd spend a whole day in one. Then I bought them the rabbit cabinet and he spent all day in there. He'd come out to eat and go to the toilet, on my carpet, and then go back in. So I decided to move them outside into a hutch as I knew he'd be a lot happier and he really is. However he spends all day in there now. Smoo was out sunbathing so after I'd done his medicine instead of putting him back in the hutch I directed him towards Smoo and the sun. He stayed there for about five minutes before finding his way back to the hutch and the sleeping compartment. I don't like seeing him cooped up all day, but it's him choosing to do it. His eyes have cleared up a lot outside, it means Smoo can sunbathe too which she loves, but I still feel mean!

Being in big spaces must be scary for him when he can't see :( maybe the longer he's left alone, he might decide to venture out a little, bless him xxx

aww bless, what more can you do? You are giving him the opportunity and I dare say with a little more confidence and no changes to the environment he'll feel more able to wander about....

wee soul. X

I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he is happier and in his comfort zone in small spaces plus he is getting older so less active.

Aww no, poor Grim, i didnt know he'd lost his sight! What caused that? I sure he's happy enough, he's got good company, food and space if he wants to wander :)

All Mimzy's life I have given him space to run and binky...he chooses instead to stay in the tiniest space he can cram himself. :?
Bunnies are funny like that. :) You are giving him the opportunity, he will take it or not. As long as he's not edgy because he's in a bigger space I wouldn't worry.
You're a good bunny mum, Jenova. (((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) xxxx

Sounds like he needs familiarity around him, and if you put him outside he may feel stressed because he can't see whats around him, i would just leave him where he's comfortable, it's just us humans who stress about our pets when all along they're showing us they're fine;)

:?

Since he's gone almost completely blind he feels a lot safer in small enclosed spaces. At first it was carry cases and he'd spend a whole day in one. Then I bought them the rabbit cabinet and he spent all day in there. He'd come out to eat and go to the toilet, on my carpet, and then go back in. So I decided to move them outside into a hutch as I knew he'd be a lot happier and he really is. However he spends all day in there now. Smoo was out sunbathing so after I'd done his medicine instead of putting him back in the hutch I directed him towards Smoo and the sun. He stayed there for about five minutes before finding his way back to the hutch and the sleeping compartment. I don't like seeing him cooped up all day, but it's him choosing to do it. His eyes have cleared up a lot outside, it means Smoo can sunbathe too which she loves, but I still feel mean!

He is choosing to stay in the smaller part. He feels safe and happy in there and you are doing all you can to make his life as good as possible. He is much loved and you shouldn't feel mean about him being cooped up. He may eventually feel more comfortable to venture outside into the run every now and again.
My girl, Xena, is partially blind an when I let her free range in the garden she generally sits in the carrier more often than wandering about. It takes her a few goes outside before she gets confident enough to run around without keeping the carrier in "bolt distance". She really hates new places and will often thump and only sit in one confined spot until she goes back "home". Again, she eventually gains confidence and then she really enjoys herself...it just takes a little longer for her and I just leave her to do everything in her own time. :)

Thanks everyone. :)
He went blind due to a combination of blocked year ducts (tooth roots) and the constant infections caused by this and snuffles. His eyes went milky and then a layer of skin has grown over all of his right eye and some of his left. It has a proper name which I can't remember.

Thanks everyone. :)
He went blind due to a combination of blocked year ducts (tooth roots) and the constant infections caused by this and snuffles. His eyes went milky and then a layer of skin has grown over all of his right eye and some of his left. It has a proper name which I can't remember.

Thats worrying, Busters had lots of tearduct problems since being diagnosed with snuffles, including a reoccring abcess, is it common for them to go blind? What meds is he on? Busters on daily IM Duphapen-Strep injections. I was really pleased with it at first, his eye completely stopped running and the nose discharge lessened as did the sneezing fits but we're about 3 weeks in and hes sneezing uncontrollably again and has a constant milky nose, really disappointing. I really feel for you and Grim, its been such a tough long road and it must feel never ending for you both, i know it does with Buster. Hugs x

I can feel for you there. :( Grim's on metronidazole and depocillin injections but he's been on many others too. You just have to find the right combination. Grim's had eye problems for five years now, it's just taken it's toll.

The metronidazole was really good but it causes Buster UTI's and gut problems :( the vet has written to my insurer in the hope that they'll pay for a nebuliser, he'll then be on baytril and bisolvon which he'll inhale, hope we get the go ahead, its just costing me so much money and im stretched to the max right now so i cant pay for it myself. And people think rabbits are children pets :roll: i could certainly change a few peoples views!

Back