• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I buy some Readigrass for Ludo or is he spoilt enough already?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
I'm going to the pet supply shop in a minute as Ludo needs some hay (how can a single 2kg rabbit eat a MEDIUM bag of hay in a week? :shock: And no he doesn't have worms he's just greedy! I suppose he barely has any pellets.)

I've already spent about £4 on living herbs for him in the last few days and then a few pounds on fresh veg and the hay will be another few pounds.

The shop sells Readigrass for about £4 a bag (is that a normal price, seems expensive for grass) and I'm always tempted... do you think it would be a nice gift for him? He's stasis-prone but I guess that would be fine for him. He loves dandelion rolls which are grass and dandelion but he's running out of them.

Another question... can it be stored in a tin or would it go mouldy?

Have to buy him things or he headbutts my feet you see. :roll:

:lol: he's got you wrapped around his little finger... or whatever his equivalent might be...

i leave my readigrass in the opened packet, i'm afraid - it keeps just fine but my rabbits are indoors so its in the house. i think it is just under £4 a bag round here but it lasts ages as i give it as a condiment rather than a meal.

Thanks- Ludo is indoors too so it sounds like it will keep ok.

I keep his pellets in old SMA baby food tins as they stack easily but I learnt the hard way that dried herbs don't keep that way, so wondered about Readigrass.

He does have me wrapped around his little finger (paw!? :lol:). He is a lovely docile little chap but he knows what he wants and he knows how to get it, and if he doesn't then that back foot will thump!

Readigrass keeps really well as it's so dry, so you should have no problems with storage. I keep mine in the garage (which never has a car in it). I get the big 15kg bags because it works out a lot cheaper and after about 6 months I'm barely anywhere near through it! It's fab. Try him with the smaller bags and if he likes it you could get the big one which is much cheaper, and then you don't have to feel guilty because it's so cheap :mrgreen:. That was my logic.

I pay about that for Spenser's readigrass. He has currently gone off it, but I think he may be wanting me to open the new bag before the old one is finished.

I can't wait unitl it is a bit warmer and I can take Spenser out for a garden run.

We've made the decision that Ludo won't be going out in the garden unless the vet can give us something to prevent him from getting lice.

We live in an area full of hedgehogs, badgers and foxes and every year our small animals get lice. I'm allergic to their bites so usually the first indication is the welts I come up with.

It wasn't a problem when they were all outdoors as we treated them straight away, but now Ludo lives in my room, it would be an absolute disaster as these lice are definitely the kind that are zoonotic. (the small, yellow ones, think they're from the hedgehogs). Can you imagine, Ludo's fur is all over my pyjamas, so soon I'd have lice in my bed!

If the vet can give him something as a preventative measure then that would be fine, if not then he'll have to keep living it up as a house rabbit. It's not like he doesn't have tonnes of space anyway, and he certainly gets a lot of exercise!

Back