• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home frustrating!!!

Eaj20

Young Bun
Pets at home have decided that they are no longer going to sell rabbit muesli. This is the most frustrating thing for me as I have one rabbit how refuses to eat pellets and will only eat he muesli! and 3 baby rabbits that are on this food as well so I went there today and we asked what had happened to the food and they say we've stopped doing it to stop selective eating at which point she told me that I could feed them pellets instead. I then proceeded to tell this girl who obviously knew nothing about animals in the slightest that I have 3 kits who are all eating their own brand rabbit muesli and i cannot under any circumstances change their food as it could kill them she then wandered off to speak to someone else who was no help at all!! most frustrating trip to pets at home I have ever had!! I understand that selective eating is bad but what am I supposed to do when I have 3 baby's who are on this particular brand of food well apparently they have had the signs up saying they would stop selling muesli since mid march not very helpful when I stock up on food and should have put it up months in advance! Sorry for my rant it has just annoyed me a lot.

I really dislike pets at home. Way too many bad experiences. How much of their food do you have left? Would you be able to buy some museli from a different pet store and mix it in with the remainder of the p@h one to get the buns used to the new one?

I am pleased they have stopped selling muesli but at the same time only giving a couple of weeks notice isnt very good as not many people will have had the chance to find out and do a slow change. I thought it would be on the shelves for at least a few more months!

I can see this causing a lot of problems with owners who are perhaps not as knowledgeable about buns.
They'll come into p@h bring back pellets instead of museli and they won't be able to change over gradually :roll:
Surely it would have been better if thy had signs up and were speaking to customers about sorting the change over gradually?

But then that would be commen sense :s

I really dislike pets at home. Way too many bad experiences. How much of their food do you have left? Would you be able to buy some museli from a different pet store and mix it in with the remainder of the p@h one to get the buns used to the new one?

I was down to the last bowl as I hadn't had the time to get down there but I also forgot to add that they told me they had none and there was nothing they could do and a 5 minute long argument... I then walked down the next isle and there was 4 bags sitting on a discontinued shelf so two members of staff failed to tell me or notice this?!! They are useless I brought the four bags and which should last until the babies have gone to new homes and I will have to change the mums food over to a different brand of muesli but I will not be buying food from there again!

I was down to the last bowl as I hadn't had the time to get down there but I also forgot to add that they told me they had none and there was nothing they could do and a 5 minute long argument... I then walked down the next isle and there was 4 bags sitting on a discontinued shelf so two members of staff failed to tell me or notice this?!! They are useless I brought the four bags and which should last until the babies have gone to new homes and I will have to change the mums food over to a different brand of muesli but I will not be buying food from there again!

cant you try and get her off the musli.... its the worst things for buns........

Nightmare! Can you order it off their website still?

I would try and change her onto a different food eventually :) maybe SS :) I know some people feed rabbit royale which is a muesli mix :) I used to but hated the feel of it :lol:

Last edited:
cant you try and get her off the musli.... its the worst things for buns........

I have not had her long and when i re-homed her she was eating muesli, also when I re-homed her I did not know she was pregnant as the lady I got her off didn't tell me this piece of information or she did not know herself, the kits where a big surprise at this point I could not change her on to pellets as she was feeding 3 kits and I did not want to risk anything. I did try gradually changing her food to pellets before I found out she was pregnant and it didn't work she just refused to eat anything when the pellets were the only thing in her bowl. Also my other rabbits eat pellets it is just this one stubborn bun.

it depends if the bun is selectively feeding or if they eat all of it.
Any kind of processed food should only be the smallest part of a buns diet, so as long as they have access to plenty of hay and are not selectively feeding it's generally allright.

I have not had her long and when i re-homed her she was eating muesli, also when I re-homed her I did not know she was pregnant as the lady I got her off didn't tell me this piece of information or she did not know herself, the kits where a big surprise at this point I could not change her on to pellets as she was feeding 3 kits and I did not want to risk anything. I did try gradually changing her food to pellets before I found out she was pregnant and it didn't work she just refused to eat anything when the pellets were the only thing in her bowl. Also my other rabbits eat pellets it is just this one stubborn bun.

if you leave the food in the bowl long enough she will eat it all.
But obviously that's not a god idea to do this till the babies aren't with her anymore :)

Any kind of processed food should only be the smallest part of a buns diet, so as long as they have access to plenty of hay and are not selectively feeding it's generally allright.

yeah then it may be an idea after she has her kits to decrease the musli have lots and lots of hay and then add pellets with the musli to see if you can get her off it

Thank you :) she eats a small amount of muesli, greens, unlimited amounts of hay and grass when shes grazing away in the garden she doesn't selective eat she loves her food and would never waste any!!

I completely see your point, because you're a sensible owner so it's not fair that you're not being give the choice to feed your rabbit sensibly with the best option for you and her.

But I suppose, with the bigger picture in mind, it's a sensible decision overall for most rabbit owners, as they're not as sensible as you.

However, the way P@H have gone about it seems a bit slapdash and also there was no need for them to have an attitude.

I completely see your point, because you're a sensible owner so it's not fair that you're not being give the choice to feed your rabbit sensibly with the best option for you and her.

But I suppose, with the bigger picture in mind, it's a sensible decision overall for most rabbit owners, as they're not as sensible as you.

However, the way P@H have gone about it seems a bit slapdash and also there was no need for them to have an attitude.

I do agree with this, I'm worried about the poor buns that may end up going into stasis as a result of P@H not educating the owners on how to change them over onto pellets and allowing the changeover to happen.
hopefully they'll come online and find RU if their buns get ill. Suppose that's a positive from it.

Yet again, I have to object to comments like these. The worst thing for rabbits is to much hard feed ( muesli OR pellets) and not enough hay. Let's face it if P@H muesli is not great quality, the pellets ain't going to be much good either. Rabbits can live without either types of hard feed, in many cases, so even selective feeding becomes irrelevant!

No doubt they will have many complaints about the way they went about removing it from their shelves they should of displayed it months before removing it completely and anyone purchasing it told about the changes at the till area and also given advice on how to switch food they are supposed to be a pet shop after all. They will probably lose business over the bad customer service.

If you do have enough food to swap gradually, then you can do the same gradual increase of the new without the old, that way your bun has less dry food for the period but no sudden increase of new food.

I do agree with this, I'm worried about the poor buns that may end up going into stasis as a result of P@H not educating the owners on how to change them over onto pellets and allowing the changeover to happen.
hopefully they'll come online and find RU if their buns get ill. Suppose that's a positive from it.

I did hear that P@H were removing it because it was not great for he rabbit(even staff said it was no good) but they should at least give one/two months notice, its not fair on the owners or buns! I go into the shop as I don't have many of pet shops in my area. I almost came out with a rehomed bun today as he was lovely.

My question is

If you are changing ie pellets over to a new brand how slowly should you do it?

Sorry for hijack of thread. :oops:

I did hear that P@H were removing it because it was not great for he rabbit(even staff said it was no good) but they should at least give one/two months notice, its not fair on the owners or buns! I go into the shop as I don't have many of pet shops in my area. I almost came out with a rehomed bun today as he was lovely.

My question is

If you are changing ie pellets over to a new brand how slowly should you do it?

Sorry for hijack of thread. :oops:

At least 7 days, I'd aim for about 10 days.

Back