• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making rabbits work for their food

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Do any of you do make your buns work for their food? Apart from scatter feeding pellets on the ground, do you use treat balls or hide them in other veg etc? I am always interested in new ways to do this, especially for Dee seen as she is an indoor single rabbit! I've just given her some pellets rolled up in spring greens and tied with a piece of hay which she loved, but I would be very interested in other ideas!:wave:

Do any of you do make your buns work for their food? Apart from scatter feeding pellets on the ground, do you use treat balls or hide them in other veg etc? I am always interested in new ways to do this, especially for Dee seen as she is an indoor single rabbit! I've just given her some pellets rolled up in spring greens and tied with a piece of hay which she loved, but I would be very interested in other ideas!:wave:

We use
- Hay stuffed in toilet rolls
- Treat balls
- Scattering food
- Dangling balls with veg/hay stuffed in (like this one: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/13210)
- Eggboxes stuffed with hay (and a few treats scattered inside) and closed up (Axl gets really fed up trying to open them hahah)
- Toys (like this:http://www.petsathome.com/shop/chew-and-roll-small-animal-toy-by-pets-at-home-31823) with hay stuffed in the holes
- Cereal boxes stuffed with hay

Umm...thats about all we've tried so far.............keen to see what others do as I'm desperate to occupy axl who is getting very frustrated in his accomodation ATM (can't make it bigger till he is bonded back with Rose in a few weeks time)

It doesn't make them work for their food but other toys we have are slinkies and cat toys with bells inside - drive us mad with the jingling but Rose seems to love them lol

I make them perform :twisted: ... :lol: Naaahhh, I make the hay eating more interesting as apart from Poppy they don't have a lot of pellets, Donny and Lola don't have any at the moment :lol: Leo just eats his then goes back to his hay!

Empty tissue boxes filled with hay/forage and some broken up pellets usually goes down well :)

Yep, poor Scamp doesn't even have a food bowl. He's got a treat ball for his dry food, and I hide it in toys sometimes, and a hanging ball for his veggies.

3 of mine only get a few pellets a day, so I hand feed and make them stretch up to reach them, like they would if they were trying to reach low branches. Mine only eat hay in their litter boxes, so can't really make them work for that :lol:

Our boys have a treat ball which they go mad for. I also used whatever boxes are going spare and stuff the with hay and a few pellets/treats, they love attacking them to them out.

I scatter feed mainly in their hay so they have to dig through it all to find the food.

Rosewood make a good treat ball for dogs that I find works well for the buns. You can change the size of the opening to make it easy to fill with different foods. It's very hard and they haven't managed to c chew it the way they did with the one for small animals. It had no carrots left on it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Tr...=1365232665&sr=1-3&keywords=rosewood+dog+ball

Back