• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Uneaten cecals, should I be worried?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Since Harrison arrived with us last weekend he has been leaving a lot of uneaten cecals around. Initially I assumed it was because of the upset involved in moving house and possible slight variations in diet but it is still happening regularly. Otherwise he seems completely fine and is also producing a lot of lovely golden poops. Should I be concerned? I've even tried offering him one to eat but he looked at me in disgust (as did my husband!) :lol:

From my experience I always thought excess cecaels are a sign that the diet is too rich. Rabbits re-digest excess nutrients when it's not absorbed the first time around, so maybe your giving them too much of something or a certain food item that is doing it

My two did this when i first got them as babies. i reduced their pellets and they were fine. hope its as simple for you. Harrison is lovely. i saw him on the rabbits in need section. so glad he has a RU home :love:

When this happened with Lola, I reduced the amount of nuggets :wave: I barely ever see any now, except the other day when I gave her a little pepper to try. Trial and error :wave:

I'm also cutting over Smudge from Excel pellets to Science Selective, reckon it'll take a few days to get used to new pellets... willow ate a couple of burgess excel yesterday too...

I was told previously to cut down on pellets and make it hay only for a couple of days till they go away. I think though that hay nay may be an issue for bunnies who re underweight and need to put weight on...

Fee x

Thanks all. We love him so much :love: and are very happy with him.

His diet hasn't changed much from what Helen was giving him, he LOVES hay and will eat it in preference to almost anything else. He gets a couple of eggcupfuls of pellets a day but I can try reducing them. He also has a few greens in the morning.

I'll see what happens if I reduce everything except the hay. :D

I give them 2 egg cups a day over winter, so he could go down to 1 egg cup now, or even none since he's such a good hay eater. Sometimes switching to SS can help. He did leave the odd one here, always exactly in the same place, where he took his afternoon snooze in his pen, never when he was in the living room for some reason. xx

Back