• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abscess on/in nose - Mulberry update

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
After Mulberry's long battle with myxi last September she was left with permanent snuffles so has been on depocillin every three days ever since. It struck me, though, that what is coming out of her nose now seems to be pus rather than discharge, because of how it smells :mrgreen: and also it isn't thinned by bisolvon/eased with nebulising, which her snuffles always was. Is it possible that she still has an abscess that's the remainder of the huge abscess she had on her nose?

She's off to my most bunny-savvy vet on Monday and meanwhile is eating as voraciously as ever. I've given her painkiller. If the abscess is in her nose would they be able to remove it under GA and reconstruct her nose somehow? In some ways might removing the myxi-damaged tissue be a good thing? She's 7 this month so am not keen on a surgery/GA route, but she must be uncomfortable if not in actual pain, so something needs to be done. :?

She would need skull radiographs prior to any surgery as an abscess anywhere in the head usually causes more issues within than just what can be seen externally. Also, given her respiratory tract issues a GA and lengthy surgical procedure may not be appropriate. There may be a better way of managing it in a palliative way.

She would need skull radiographs prior to any surgery as an abscess anywhere in the head usually causes more issues within than just what can be seen externally. Also, given her respiratory tract issues a GA and lengthy surgical procedure may not be appropriate. There may be a better way of managing it in a palliative way.

Ah okay; thank you. At her age I'm really not keen to rush her into surgery, but because it's her nose the manuka honey option doesn't seem as viable... :?

Ah okay; thank you. At her age I'm really not keen to rush her into surgery, but because it's her nose the manuka honey option doesn't seem as viable... :?

Much will depend on the precise extent and location of the abscess and if it involves bone aswell as soft tissue.

Back