• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

depressed?

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Peter is nearly a year old and currently an indoor bun (he came in beginning of Jan and will be going back out permanantly as soon as its mild enough. I know he is much happier outside (I took him out for a couple of hours the other day as our garden is a sun trap and it was lovely (no coats required for a change!) and he spent a majority of the time binkying around his run :love:

Recently his personality has changed :( He used to be really inquisitive, I'd open the door to his puppy pen and he would come bounding out yet the last few days he has either sat in the corner or run and hid in his tunnel :( Now at the weekend we had family staying including a 5 year old boy who isn't used to animals and Whilst Peters room was very much meant to be out of bounds I can't be 100% sure he didnt go in. Peter is in a puppy cage with an attached pen (which is covered) so there is very little way he could have hurt Peter but he could have frightened him :cry:

I've been out today and bought him new toys. He's never been one for playing with toys but he has a couple of tunnels, a wood thing with a bell, baby rattle, teddy, dumbell, a treat ball, ball with bell inside. I've tried hiding dried forage in hay which he likes.

Health wise he seems fine, He's eating, drinking fine, his poo's are lovely and golden etc he looks fine. Is hoping around normally. He just seems fed up :( He normally loves fuss but isn't keen on being handled so giving him a cuddle for reassurance is a no go.

He gets a fair amount of attention from me, I'm a stay at home mum and when I'm upstairs i always pop in and have a little chat with him. I can't have him free ranging as we havent got enough space to dedicate to him (and also I have a 4 year old who is lovely with him but obv I wouldnt trust him 100%). I regularly bring him downstairs to have a jump around the lounge but thats when the kids are in bed. I know he's going to be much happier when we get him back outside and ultimitely get him a buddy :p

Any tips on what I can do to help?

Could it just be Spring wobbles? My two bunnies have been more subdued the last few days. I think because it's been so sunny and bright and the days are starting to get longer - they spend much more of the day in their hidey box, where it is dark and comfortable. They are still quite active first thing on the morning, in the evening, and at night, but they are definitely less sociable during the day at the mo'.

You could, depending how territorial your bun is, try mixing things up a bit. The last time my bunnies were bored I changed their room around a bit. I left their hidey box in the same place, but moved other things around (tunnel, carrier bed, larger toys, etc), which seemed to take them more interested! Maybe get him a temporary new friend of the plush variety?

Poor bunny :(

Has anything changed in his environment recently? Fred hates change and will sulk for days at a time before turning back in to his normal happy self.

Hopefully someone will be along who has some bright ideas soon :wave:

Could it just be Spring wobbles? My two bunnies have been more subdued the last few days. I think because it's been so sunny and bright and the days are starting to get longer - they spend much more of the day in their hidey box, where it is dark and comfortable. They are still quite active first thing on the morning, in the evening, and at night, but they are definitely less sociable during the day at the mo'.

You could, depending how territorial your bun is, try mixing things up a bit. The last time my bunnies were bored I changed their room around a bit. I left their hidey box in the same place, but moved other things around (tunnel, carrier bed, larger toys, etc), which seemed to take them more interested! Maybe get him a temporary new friend of the plush variety?

:lol: Oops, I've just said the opposite! Fred is quite an unusual bun, I'm sure this is better advice!

I think it is probably Spring as well. In the wild he would be chasing the girls etc and he possibly feels something is missing in his life.

Were the house guests noisy? Even if they didn't get in his room?

Ludo can't stand people making noise, I'm sure house guests would be enough to make him sulk.

Poor bunny :(

Has anything changed in his environment recently? Fred hates change and will sulk for days at a time before turning back in to his normal happy self.

Hopefully someone will be along who has some bright ideas soon :wave:

Hi, No nothings changed really but he doesn't like change, he thumps even if I empty his litter tray :roll:

Hi, Never heard of spring wobbles but I suppose that could be it. I wonder if it didnt help taking him out in the garden then bringing him in again. He really does seem soo much happier outside :(

Were the house guests noisy? Even if they didn't get in his room?

Ludo can't stand people making noise, I'm sure house guests would be enough to make him sulk.

They would have been a bit noisy but he's used to some noise as I have 2 boys so is used to listening to them shouting at each other, eldest playing music, hoover etc. Outside noise is reasonably high too as we live under an RAF flight path so he hears regular chinooks!

They would have been a bit noisy but he's used to some noise as I have 2 boys so is used to listening to them shouting at each other, eldest playing music, hoover etc. Outside noise is reasonably high too as we live under an RAF flight path so he hears regular chinooks!

Ah I see, we live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have no children, so we only need to have a car drive past after midnight and Ludo thumps. Don't think he'd do with a sleepover at your house, he'd wear his feet out! :lol:

Ah I see, we live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have no children, so we only need to have a car drive past after midnight and Ludo thumps. Don't think he'd do with a sleepover at your house, he'd wear his feet out! :lol:

:lol:

No, luckily Peter seems quite tolerant of the boys, my eldest is lovely with him and he is usually the chief feeder so he's Peters best friend ;) and my youngest, whilst only 4, is very good with Peter and knows to be gentle with him. He loves fuss from both of them.

Would it be possible for you to adopt a companion for him - most rabbits are happier in pairs and he may be particularly lonely when you put him outside.

Would it be possible for you to adopt a companion for him - most rabbits are happier in pairs and he may be particularly lonely when you put him outside.

Hi Babsie,

This is definitely my next plan but I'm just trying to get myself sorted with making sure the outdoor accommidation is suitable for 2 buns (I've got a 6ft hutch but only a 4ft run - I'll be honest, Peter was bought late last summer before I knew how much space he would need :oops: so I decided that this spring I will get a much bigger run) and also I'm trying to work out how I'll do bonding / or find someone who will do the bonding for me. I've actually PM'd someone this afternoon about a lovely female looking for a home :love:

Hi Babsie,

This is definitely my next plan but I'm just trying to get myself sorted with making sure the outdoor accommidation is suitable for 2 buns (I've got a 6ft hutch but only a 4ft run - I'll be honest, Peter was bought late last summer before I knew how much space he would need :oops: so I decided that this spring I will get a much bigger run) and also I'm trying to work out how I'll do bonding / or find someone who will do the bonding for me. I've actually PM'd someone this afternoon about a lovely female looking for a home :love:

Sounds as though you are already on top of the game!:)
I think lots of us (certainly me, anyway) were unaware of just how much space rabbits need.

PS Looked for you in Sainsbury's last week but didn't see you! ;)

Sounds as though you are already on top of the game!:)
I think lots of us (certainly me, anyway) were unaware of just how much space rabbits need.

PS Looked for you in Sainsbury's last week but didn't see you! ;)

:lol:I'm not hard to miss ;):lol:

I know I can't blame them entirely, but it really frustrates me that P@H didn't advise me properly, I was told a 4ft poppy den and 4ft run were sufficient :evil:. TBH I'm cross that they didn't tell me that rabbits should have more space (as I would have bought bigger!) and I ended up wasting money on a hutch that was used for a matter of weeks and is now sat useless in my garden! I should have done my research before I went in that shop, but I didnt and he was a very much spur of the moment decision :oops: but I'm trying to sort it now!

:lol:I'm not hard to miss ;):lol:

I know I can't blame them entirely, but it really frustrates me that P@H didn't advise me properly, I was told a 4ft poppy den and 4ft run were sufficient :evil:. TBH I'm cross that they didn't tell me that rabbits should have more space (as I would have bought bigger!) and I ended up wasting money on a hutch that was used for a matter of weeks and is now sat useless in my garden! I should have done my research before I went in that shop, but I didnt and he was a very much spur of the moment decision :oops: but I'm trying to sort it now!

:wave:

Know what you mean about spur of the moment decision. I bought Frosty and Snowflake in our local pet shop just because they were sososososo cute... They gave good feeding advice and i thought i'd done a good job of buying a big cage when i got them a chicken run (2 foot wide and about 6 foot long or more like 7 with the extension) but... it is too badly made to be properly weather proof and is too small. WASTE of money :oops: got it on ebay. Ah well we've got the great RU now!

Know what you mean about spur of the moment decision. I bought Frosty and Snowflake in our local pet shop just because they were sososososo cute... They gave good feeding advice and i thought i'd done a good job of buying a big cage when i got them a chicken run (2 foot wide and about 6 foot long or more like 7 with the extension) but... it is too badly made to be properliy weather proof and is too small. WASTE of money :oops: got it on ebay. Ah well we've got the great RU now!

I know lol, I've had Pete for 7 months and bought 2 hutches, 2 Runs , 2 carriers and an indoor dog crate! And I'm now after another run and a runaround system lol.

Next week is our 5th wedding anniversary and traditionally that means wood so you can guess what I'm requesting for my present!!!!

Back