• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetergesic

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I know it's a strong painkiller, but what kind? Is it an opiate? And has anyone else's bun been given it alongside metacam for stomach pain? Honey has just had an injection of it and I'm really worried, as she hasn't had it before :(

Yes, I have used it thousands of times. It is an opiate so it can cause drowsiness. I have never had any problems with it in any of my Rabbits.

I have had it before, it can make them sleepy and lethargic after having it. I honestly can't remember if it was used alongside of metacam.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help.

eta - glad Jane posted at the same time.

I know it's a strong painkiller, but what kind? Is it an opiate? And has anyone else's bun been given it alongside metacam for stomach pain? Honey has just had an injection of it and I'm really worried, as she hasn't had it before :(

Yes, some of mine have been given it in that way - ie as well as Metacam. I've found them to be quite zonked out but it does seem to be a 'standard' type of drug regime for belly ache/stasis cases.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Charlie's had it and it made him really sleepy. He refused to move about and was totally lifeless. But, when he's been in stasis before he'd acted worse, so it was no worse than how he reacted to being ill and once he got fluids the next day he was totally back to normal.

Rupert had it when he was in emergency vets for 24 hours - when he came home, he was totally out of it! He looked stoned like he was tripping! I can laugh about it now, but it was terrifying at the time - took he a couple of days to act 'normally' again after it.

I think it can be used alongside metacam becasue they're different types of painkiller x

I am just worried it is going to hamper her recovery - she won't want to eat or move to go to the loo if she's so zonked, will she? I just don't know :(

Charlie has had it in the 24 hours post surgeries, alongside metacam as it is a different drug. It does make him sleepy- less interested in food and he just sits lopking zonked out, but is totally fone the following day

I am just worried it is going to hamper her recovery - she won't want to eat or move to go to the loo if she's so zonked, will she? I just don't know :(

I remember thinking this and panicking. It seemed to be a bit of a Catch 22, you want them to eat but they are too tired to.

My Katy seemed to be totally zonked out for about 4-6 hours and then pick up a bit after that and started to nibble on things.

I hope Honey will feel better soon and start eating and pooping x

Back