• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD outbreak, Kidderminster

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
We have recently been notified of an outbreak of suspected Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease in Kidderminster. Our sympathies are with the owners of any rabbits suffering this terrible, fatal disease, and it is worth reminding owners what steps they should take to avoid infection.

Vaccination is vital, even for totally indoor rabbits. The new combined Nobivac Myxo-RHD is now widely available, and also protects against myxomatosis. Sole vaccines against VHD are also available (Lapinject, Cylap and Anivac). Whichever vaccine you opt for depends on a discussion between you and your veterinary surgeon, but is is worth pointing out that as the weather warms up shortly, myxomatosis also becomes a risk.

The reason vaccination is vital even for indoor rabbits is that the virus is highly persistant in the environment, and may live for up to 200 days outside of the host animal, especially at low temperatures, as we currently have. This also allows it to travel on inanimate objects, such as shoes and clothing, car tyres, and also the feet of other pets. So it is possible to bring it back following walks through fields containing infected rabbits, or when visiting friends rabbits or sharing equipment, bedding, housing etc.

As a result, a pet safe, ant-viral disinfectant should be used, at a suitable dilution rate, in contact with surfaces for the length of time as specified by the manufacturer. It is no use simply applying disinfectant to dirty items, they must be cleaned thoroughly first, to allow the disinfectant to touch the surfaces properly. Foot dips might be useful, and should be changed regularly to avoid contamination with mud etc if used to clean dirty boots.

Speak to your vet about a suitable disinfectant, but brands including Virkon, F10, Ark Klens, are effective, when used as above. If you have any further questiosn or comments, dont hesitate to get in touch

Bumping in case people haven't seen. I'll also link to this in the VHD outbreaks sticky at the top of Health. :wave:

Thanks Karen. I was looking for that, but with so many places to post the warning to, was in a hurry and must have missed it. I saw one for 2011-12 but not for 13

No worries, Ros. There wasn't a thread for 2013 when I went to link this, so I amended the title of the 2012 one so members would know it was still current. :D

Shared on facebook.

We've moved to Newbury at the end of last year but I still go to Kidderminster every week, and have been recently fussing rabbits in the PAH centre there :shock:

We got 2 new buns in January and they haven't been done yet and Harvey will be due his booster! is there a minimum age?

Shared on facebook.

We've moved to Newbury at the end of last year but I still go to Kidderminster every week, and have been recently fussing rabbits in the PAH centre there :shock:

We got 2 new buns in January and they haven't been done yet and Harvey will be due his booster! is there a minimum age?

5 weeks for the new combination vaccine

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

I would get yours vaccinated ASAP

Back