• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD in Kidderminster!!!

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
This has just been posted by the RWAF on Facebook....

We have recently been notified of an outbreak of suspected Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease in Kidderminster. Our sympathies are with the owners of any rabbits suffering this terrible, fatal disease, and it is worth reminding owners what steps they should take to avoid infection.

Vaccination is vital, even for totally indoor rabbits. The new combined Nobivac Myxo-RHD is now widely available, and also protects against myxomatosis. Sole vaccines against VHD are also available (Lapinject, Cylap and Anivac). Whichever vaccine you opt for depends on a discussion between you and your veterinary surgeon, but is is worth pointing out that as the weather warms up shortly, myxomatosis also becomes a risk.

The reason vaccination is vital even for indoor rabbits is that the virus is highly persistant in the environment, and may live for up to 200 days outside of the host animal, especially at low temperatures, as we currently have. This also allows it to travel on inanimate objects, such as shoes and clothing, car tyres, and also the feet of other pets. So it is possible to bring it back following walks through fields containing infected rabbits, or when visiting friends rabbits or sharing equipment, bedding, housing etc.

As a result, a pet safe, ant-viral disinfectant should be used, at a suitable dilution rate, in contact with surfaces for the length of time as specified by the manufacturer. It is no use simply applying disinfectant to dirty items, they must be cleaned thoroughly first, to allow the disinfectant to touch the surfaces properly. Foot dips might be useful, and should be changed regularly to avoid contamination with mud etc if used to clean dirty boots.

Speak to your vet about a suitable disinfectant, but brands including Virkon, F10, Ark Klens, are effective, when used as above. If you have any further questions or comments, don't hesitate to get in touch.

I know you mean well but I am concerned about the impact this is going to have on Rachlou when she sees it.

I dont think shes anywhere near here?
This is where I live, Im terrified!!!!!

It doesn't have to be. She becomes convinced that if anyone she knows goes anywhere near the place an outbreak has been reported that her buns will get it.

I think it's a sensible warning to other rabbit owners so needs to stay, I am just hoping it doesn't have an impact on Rachlou.

If your rabbits are vaccinated and you keep a decent level of hygiene (and I'm sure you do), they will be fine.

It doesn't have to be. She becomes convinced that if anyone she knows goes anywhere near the place an outbreak has been reported that her buns will get it.

I think it's a sensible warning to other rabbit owners so needs to stay, I am just hoping it doesn't have an impact on Rachlou.

You can't start avoiding rabbit topics on a rabbit forum because of an illness one member has. If Rachylou ever wants to recover from her OCD she will need to confront it anyway, avoiding it is definitely not the answer.

TBH when I got Holly & Willow I was told they 'think theyre vaccinated' but have no certificates etc? So was planning just to get them done later this year when Roxy & Rory were due.....so this means possibly Holly & Willow are actually unvaccinated.
I feel like such a bad owner now :( Im ringing vets as soon as they open tomorrow and booking them in just in case!! RWAF have said it shouldnt matter if they have been done and get re-done, better to be safe than sorry.

If your rabbits are vaccinated and you keep a decent level of hygiene (and I'm sure you do), they will be fine.

:thumb: I was going to say the same. The vaccine is very effective so the warning is aimed at those rabbit owners who, for whatever reason, haven't chosen to vaccinate so that they can either take extra precautions or consider vaccinating (bearing in mind also that the vaccine takes a couple of weeks or so to become fully effective). If your bunnies are already vaccinated, then I'm sure all will be fine.

Agree with this, if your rabbits aren't vaccinated you are always at risk and I hope Rachlou remembers that hers are vaccinated and will not get it xx

Ooops, we posted at the same time. :oops: It won't hurt to re-vaccinate Holly & Willow a little early if they have already been done but I agree with your thinking - if you're not 100% sure that they've been vaccinated, then best to get it done now to be on the safe side. x

Argh, nightmare! N&T are vacced and aren't due for their booster until July, but I'm still worried. Went downstairs to check whether my mom and stepdad ever drive near/through Kiddy. Pretty sure they don't, but had to check! Little bit worrying as I too suffer from OCD, but realistically I know like others have said that if they're vacced then they're okay. I am a little worried about hay, but all the hay I get in a bale has been cut months ago so should be fine. My dissertation is going to be done with behavioural studies of rabbits - I'm going to avoid Kidderminster and go more South!

Firstly can I please request that this be moved to the VHD OUTBREAKS section.

Yes, I know I can not hide or run away from my illness but I can avoid certain sections of a forum if I suspect they will trigger my problems, but that is extremely hard todo when you go into a GENERAL CHAT section for non- related bunny chauer and see a thread with the words 'VHD in Kidderminster' of cause I am going to look into where that is and have done which has now caused me to fear there now too!
Im not having a go I am just trying to express that maybe a little more thought could have been taken.

Snowberry- thanku so much for being concerned about me! It means a lot! :love:

It's not in General Chat, it's in Rabbit Chat. And yes, it should technically be in the health section, but Rabbit Chat gets a lot more traffic so it's pretty common for people to post random rabbit topics.

Please don't act like people who mention how to avoid your illness are the only ones concerned about you. The only reason I commented was so that people unaware of how it works can help with your OCD by not feeding it. And the only reason I did that is because I am concerned about you and know how it works.

You can't not post something just because if one member it's not fair on everyone else I care about rachy however a lot if things can trigger episodes so you can't avoid them all

There's people with eating disorders on here we dnt avoid topic on foods or diets etc... Even though they can be triggering

It's important people know about these outbreaks incase their buns are due their vacs

Well Im sorry but im not going to NOT post something that may effect MY rabbits just because one person has issues!!!!
If you dont want to know about it, dont read the thread?
And also, since when was 'Rabbit Chat' GENERAL Chat???????

I fully understand OCD issues, but I do feel your being rather selfish....wheres the concern for me and my rabbits??? At least your miles away, Im IN Kidderminster with 2 possibly unvaccinated rabbits....so yeah, thanks for the concern.

Last edited:
Sorry Rachy, I care for you, but this is a rabbit forum and VHD outbreaks should be discussed openly so people are alerted and can get their boosters early etc.

:wave:

Back