• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering-post op advice

My bucks are both booked in to be neutered in the morning. I was told last week they were 10 weeks old by the breeder but at their check up yesterday they are older as they are both mature enough to be castrated! so they are getting done in the morning, does anybody have any post op advice? can they be kept together afterwards? they havent' ever been apart and I want them to remain bonded.

Hi :wave: I'm not a font of knowledge, but I didn't want to read and run... I'm not sure, but I can't see any problems with keeping them together, as you're not meant to separate them and risk breaking their bond?
As for aftercare, just let them take it easy. My Jasper had a bit of a complicated time after his op, we monitored him closely and as he hadn't seemed to have eaten for 12 hours, we had to take him back to the vets for antibiotics, painkillers etc. He was fine after that. I think it's rare to happen, but the important part is to make sure they're eating, drinking, weeing and pooing as this means all's well. Be prepared and get some of their favourite fruit/veg/herbs on standby to tempt them with, as they can be a bit pernickety after they wake up!

my boys were 6 months old when they were castrated. they went in together- were in recovery cage at vets together and stayed together when back home.
they took comfort in each other when both felt groggy and sore i think.
make sure you take food in for them as the vets will want them sampling food before going home-and I took my pairs water dish as wanted to make sure they had dish not bottle as my two do not know how to drink from a bottle.

the bigger bun has mounted the littler one a couple of times but nothing else and that has not happened for days, they are happy to groom each other and sleep cuddled up to each other. Will they be ok to go straight into their hutch as they are outdoor buns or do they need to come in for a bit? I have been told to take their fave foods in for recovery.

i would keep them in for at least a night, preferably in a non heated room.When mine was done he was back to normal the next day. make sure they are not on sawdust as this can irritate the wound-plus its generally bad for their respiritory sysytems. make sure they cant jump up on anything for about a week and just check the wound daily. if you use water bottles, it might be good to use a bowl for a few days as its easier when they are feeling sore

allthe best and let us know how it goes!:wave:

i had my single buck neutered last week i kept him in doors over night he was fully recovered by the next day i put him back in his 2 storey hutch and blocked off the ladder so he had to stay on one floor , i put care fresh in his litter tray

by day 5 he must of been feeling cooped up because when i opened the door he jumped out its over 2ft high but he landed on all fours and was none the worse for wear :p

when i had my bonded pair neutered at 16 weeks they went in together i never split them there was no need .....good luck with yours it makes a huge difference the buck stopped spraying immediately ....

he has had his post op check and has the all clear....

could I bring their hutch inside then?and take all the hay out and put in towels/blankets?don't think I have anything else to put them in indoors, will be keeping them indoors a couple of days at least. I feel really nervous about them getting neutered! will have some fave foods on standby, I have a hay rack for them and will put water in a bowl for them.

I split mine briefly (could still see/smell each other) but they went to vet together and have been together ever since. Sounds like yours will be fine. One of mine was chasing and mounting the other, who was running away and thumping.

Will keep them together unless one becomes aggressive to the other after the op, I hope it goes well and they don't have to be split up as it is truly amazing watching them scampering around together.

it sounds like they will be fine- they will like the commpany of eahcother and it often helps thm to recover quicker:thumb:

could I bring their hutch inside then?and take all the hay out and put in towels/blankets?don't think I have anything else to put them in indoors, will be keeping them indoors a couple of days at least. I feel really nervous about them getting neutered! will have some fave foods on standby, I have a hay rack for them and will put water in a bowl for them.

yes you could do i had a dog crate so i used that, when i put him back outside i gave him 2 snuggle pads and vet bed to lay on he was fine , and in fact he is already virtually litter trained and before the neuter last week i had no chance of litter training him he was spraying pooing and weeing everywhere his toilet habits have completely changed...

take them a little packed lunch to the vets with them, keep them together they will be happier, don't worry they will be just fine .....

oh and have a digestive biscuit on standby gets them eating again they just cant resist!

Last edited:
The vet said it went well, they came round quickly and have so far not attempted to nibble each others wounds. I have brought the hutch inside and put the ramp up and lined with lots of blankets so a couple of days inside at least I reckon as it is really cold and windy here. They are sat together in their bedroom looking rather sorry for themselves. Oh they also ate at the vets and have sniffed the hay in their hutch and pellets but not eaten at home yet.

glad they are well :) make sure you put loads of tempting foods- fresh stuff. pellets were the last thing to be eaten by charlie.:wave:

they have both eaten some carrot, a bit of strawberry, some pellets and have both had plenty to drink. They are both resting and snuggling each other at the moment. Fingers crossed they have a speedy recovery.

They are still quite subdued but they are both eating small amounts and drinking plus weeing/and pooing. How long is it recommended to keep them indoors (they are outdoor buns) I am thinking at least another night?

Back