• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still no plums, but now other one is doing the humping!

bluedragon

Young Bun
Hi, our boys are now at least 4 months old (probably about 5) - I posted elsewhere before that one (brown one) humped the other one (white one) when we first got them their run but didn't do it since.

We took them to the vet several weeks ago due to unrelated problem with white one (he rapidly lost weight but is thankfully ok now and put the weight back on) She said they were both males but not yet ready to be neutered.

Now fast forward to this week and the white one, who is usually quite tame and easy to handle, has started humping the brown one! At first I thought it would stop after a day but he's been going longer than the brown one did.

We checked them as best we could and still can not see any "plums" :(

So now I've got two boys they've both tried to hump each other at least once (and definitely several times in the case of white one) so this means at some point chances are there's going to be a problem. However they're still not ready to be neutered? It's been 3 months since we got them and the pet shop said they were 6-8 weeks old then so they're about 4-5 months old.

I'm getting rather concerned as to what's happening, should I just leave them for another few weeks and keep checking regularly? or take to vet again?

Apart from that they still seem to be getting along ok, eating together sharing accomodation together and sitting/lying together...

p.s. yes they do have names I'm just not used to the idea of giving out identifiable info over the net :lol:

They should be old enough to be neutered now, his plums could just be small or sucked in or they are girls. You could take them to the vets for neutering, if this behaviour is left it could cause them to break their bond. If the vet still won't neuter, it might be best to separate them until both are neutered to avoid sever fights, boys can be very nasty.

p.s. yes they do have names I'm just not used to the idea of giving out identifiable info over the net :lol:

Good idea as i'm sure there are lots of older buns on here that would definitely take an interest :lol: What with identity theft and everything else that goes on these webby things nowdays...best to make sure you little ones stay safe :thumb:

Do you know how experienced you vet is with buns? I'm sure my young buns visited the plum fairy when they were about 3-4 months, so they should be old enough by now...especially if they are showing hormonal behaviour.

With my two boys the vet said to come back when they had their plums... Frosty did start to chase Snowflake though so for a few days (luckily the plums appeared) one was in the cage (in half my bedroom) and one outside it, swapped regularly and given limited supervised time together. They went to the vets together too and are still happily bonded. They were done around the 4 and a half month mark i think. Best of luck with your two :wave:

Hi, ok I'll try to take them to the vets again next week. They don't seem to be fighting at all (which is what I'm concerned about)

I have a spare playpen so if the vet still won't neuter I can seperate them fine until it can be done. Thanks for the advice!

Back