• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emailed the shelter

September

Young Bun
Asking for vet references, to help me narrow down my search. They were wonderfully helpful and nice, but I think they simply assumed I was older than I am (17 now, 18 by the time I bring home my bunny). So I'm trying to sorta think of a way to tell them I'm too young to adopt, but would still be interested in it? Is there even a good way to say that?? Their adoption policy states the adopter must be 21, which puts me 4 years underage. I'm not sure about this at all.

On the bright side, I think I've found a vet :D I'm calling tomorrow to arrange to meet with the doctors, and ask them some questions/get a feel for their personalities. I wouldn't want to depend on someone who hates people or animals. So yeah :)

Do you think it might be better to do your research nearer the time you are allowed to adopt, as a lot of things can change in 3 years. Up to you, of course, but that would be my thinking.

I'm getting my bunny in 6 months, not 3 years. There are more avenues than just a shelter, and although I would prefer to adopt, it's not the only option I'm considering. Though I could see where you're confusion might come in :)

my parents had to adopt Sebastian and Mae on my behalf (although I made it clear they were my responsibility) and I technically shouldn't have been allowed to adopt Imogen but no one mentioned an age limit to me and there were no members of staff around when I did the form (not a great rescue :roll:). Is that an option for you, I assume you still live with your parents anyway

i'm not sure i understand the question, as you say you are not going to adopt after all?

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean I wouldn't adopt, I meant if I couldn't adopt because of my age, I would still get a bunny, just not through a shelter. But I would prefer the shelter.

my parents had to adopt Sebastian and Mae on my behalf (although I made it clear they were my responsibility) and I technically shouldn't have been allowed to adopt Imogen but no one mentioned an age limit to me and there were no members of staff around when I did the form (not a great rescue :roll:). Is that an option for you, I assume you still live with your parents anyway

I do still live with my mother, and will for at least another year and a half. Where I'm at, you can't legally move out till you're 19.
I was thinking about that, having my mother do the paperwork part of the adoption. But I'm more worried that if the staff knew I would be the actual owner, they wouldn't let us adopt. And it's not something I'd lie about.

When we adopted our chihuahua, I was the one who did all the paperwork and paid the fee and picked her up. I had just turned 16. That wasn't the best of shelters either :roll: For more reasons than just that, as well. At least the people were nice.

i understand now! i agree that your mum should be the formal adopter, i would imagine that as long as she agrees to take responsibility for the bunnies if you don't (although of course you will!) then a shelter should be fine with you being the actual owner :) if that makes sense

i understand now! i agree that your mum should be the formal adopter, i would imagine that as long as she agrees to take responsibility for the bunnies if you don't (although of course you will!) then a shelter should be fine with you being the actual owner :) if that makes sense

Glad we could clear that up :D

I'll talk to them about it, tell them my mother would be willing to do the actual adopting part, and that I would do the care. We'll see what they say!

Back