• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Truffle - possibly stasis :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
She wasn't eating when we got home last night about half 8. All the usual - sitting hunched, pressing her belly to the floor, tooth grinding. This happens to here every six months or so. She was drinking and weeing. Gave her a little while to try to come out of it on her own (which often happens) but ended up taking her to the emergency vet.

The vet checked her belly, vestibular function (she had EC last year), teeth.....gave her two painkillers, a gut stimulant and sub-cutaneous fluid. Her temperature was 36.4 degrees.

Left her to it when we got home as she was stressed from the trip, and expected to find her normal this morning. But she is still disinterested in food, and despite having had pain relief is still holding her stomach uncomfortably.

Think we are going back to the vets. :(

eta she did poop while we were at the vets last night - pretty normal poos! And the vet could hear gut movement too.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. I really don't know. I did think she was drinking a lot last night. But didn't strain to wee. I haven't seen her wee yet this morning though...

Hi
Could it be bloat/gas? I would try giving Infacol and massage her belly too.
I give mine 1ml of Infacol per hour for first 3 hours and then 1ml every 3 – 8 hours after.
For massaging you could even use something like a electric toothbrush or gentle hand held massager wrapped in a tea towel. Sit them on top of this and keep them reassured as they will naturally wonder what it is at first.
Encourage them to run about to keep their stomach moving.

Hi
Could it be bloat/gas? I would try giving Infacol and massage her belly too.
I give mine 1ml of Infacol per hour for first 3 hours and then 1ml every 3 – 8 hours after.
For massaging you could even use something like a electric toothbrush or gentle hand held massager wrapped in a tea towel. Sit them on top of this and keep them reassured as they will naturally wonder what it is at first.
Encourage them to run about to keep their stomach moving.

Hi Deevee - we normally try those things (except the infacol) and we did as usual last night before we went to the vets but they didn't seem to work this time. I will ask about the infacol. Thanks.

Emergency vets have advised to wait until the normal vets is open and take her there. Meanwhile to try to get food into her (they assured me there was definitely no impaction last night).

We have just managed to get her to take a little recovery food. She doesn't look impressed.

Well she did another poo at the vets and this vet also could hear gut movement. The vet gave her some vetergesic and a different gut stimulant, and said to bring her home and syringe feed her through the day if I can and review again tomorrow morning when they'll start thinking about X-rays, blood tests etc. I asked about cystitis and the vet said possibly and to watch for her straining or any abnormal wee.

I've asked to reveiw again later today however, as potentially she hasn't eaten anything significant since yesterday morning and I feel leaving it 'til tomorrow would be too long.

She did just eat the tiniest most pathetic strand of hay, but is not interested in pellets, herbs, fenugreek cruchies........

Hi again.
Try a homemade vegetable soup as i always find this does wonders for getting their appetite back.
Chop 2 to 3 different vegetables like carrot, cabbage, parsley & celery, into small pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with water and boil for about 10 mins. Liquidize the vegetables with the water they cooked in and allow to cool and then syringe feed to your rabbit.
Also you could add some warm water (not boiling) to the pellets and add the science recovery to this also and syringe feed (you may need to add some more water as the pellets do turn to quite a thick mash when you add warm water.
Both these are much more palatable than just the medications on their own and will help them that little bit more to get their appetites back.

Oh dear poor Truffle hope she will be ok xxxx

Sharon ask the vet to take Truffles blood sugar levels we do it with our buns and our vet does it and it tell's you so much more.

Sending mega Vibes for tiny Truffle and we are here at all if you need us

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Truffle is eating hay! Going to keep a close eye on her still, but it's a definite improvement!

Not since I got back (had to nip into work for a couple of hours). So possibly while I was away. I'm keeping an eye on her now though.

Back