• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem regarding parents and Domino! :(

Trixielover

Mama Doe
I had 2 bunnies (tallulah and domino aka lula and dee) then lula passed away.

I bought Dee a 6'x4' playhouse to meet RSPCA requirements as parents agreed to eventually getting him a friend. As soon as the playhouse was up, my parents said no you're not getting another rabbit.

He is so much less sociable and unhappy since his sister dies! :cry:

I also have a hammy and a new dog and I know if I bring the whole 'wifey' business, they will use Sheldon and Teddy against me saying you've already got 3pets! :?

What should I do? :(

Last edited:
You were allowed to get the playhouse for 2 rabbits so that's an argument in itself. Also the stuff I've said on another thread, plus they're different species, plus how much do your parents do for any of the pets, including the rabbits? I hate having one alone unless it;s ABSOLUTELY necessary and in this case it isn't. apart from the extra vaccs expense, it's a marginal worry against the animals' welfare.... Have you actually sat down and talked to them about it all? I spent so long worrying about asking them/ hubby about the next pet that I got myself into a state. and really, they just needed a genuine discussion and reasonable argument, especially as they don;t 'get' it. (hubby does but parents were harder)

The hamster, Sheldon, is totally my responsiblity, only I look after him.
Same with Dee.
And the Puppy, Teddy, is actually the family dog but I do most for him.

Can you get hold of some leaflets, or print out some information about how rabbits need company to show them?

Will do that tomorrow! :D but my parents sort of argued back with advice from others.

Asked pet shop lady: no need to get 2, I've got one in a cage out the back.

Asked grandma: don't need one for company, I had one single when youe dad was little. (Yes but he got killed by a fox after spending all day and night free-ranging in the garden)

Oh dear! :roll: There might be something on the RWAF site that would look more official and may convince them. Good luck xx

Get one and tell them ita been there for ages and showd how much they look :lol:

I have decided to ask about it when I have saved up the money for the adoption fee and have stocked up on food and hay/straw.

best of luck. get plenty of info (rspca sites even advise bunny company these days) and as you say save for the adoption fee, etc. hope they say yes. :wave:

I have decided to ask about it when I have saved up the money for the adoption fee and have stocked up on food and hay/straw.

Sounds like a sensible approach! As others have said, there may be leaflets etc that may help. All in all they are a social species that live in 20+ warrens, and need social interaction with their own species. It's one of the five freedoms required by law (and enforceable by law under the animal welfare act 2006 http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/03/29/pb12460-animal-welfare-act/) that an animal should be housed appropriately with our without their own species. So some species are required to live alone for their happiness, and bunnies need to be with a partner. Unless you have an indoor rabbit who's literally with humans for 10+ hours or even more a day, the social interaction they get is so tiny that it's very unfair. I'm sure you know all this, just wording it so you can steal bits if you want :D

Could it be they don't want any homechecking? I know of some people being funny with rescues as they just want to get the animal without fuss.

Good luck with convincing them!

Back