• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i think my rabbit is in pain

Sandy I cant help but just want you to know i'm thinking of you and your bunny... Perhaps see another vet?

Vibes for your bunny

Fee x

Hi - welcome to the forum. Firstly, I'm not a vet nor am I a trained medical professional. I'm just a bunny carer.

You don't say where you are based but it may be worth getting a second opinion with a rabbit-savvy vet. I'd be concerned that she has a leg injury which means she doesn't now use it. What exactly has she done to it? It would have to be a severe injury for her to not bear any weight on it at all (such as a break or a dislocation - both of which can be and should be treated). The other issues could be as a result of being in pain due to the leg injury. My advice would be to get a 2nd opinion with a good rabbit vet in the first instance. If you let us know where you are based, we may be able to advise you on a good vet in your area. Hope your bunny gets better soon - it's a worry when they're poorly isn't it?

What diagnostic tests did the vet do? Did he do an xray on the damaged leg?

What painkillers is she on, I assume it is metacam? But is it dog or cat metacam?

What antibiotic is she on and what is the dosage and how often do you give it?

I would syringe feed it to her or put it on something yummy and strong tasting (like mashed banana or basil leaves), as you need to be sure that she gets the whole dose.

Is she eating as usual?

Sandy, are you okay? You seem to have accidentally edited your post... here is what was in your original post, so you don't have to retype it all :)

My rabbit is 7years old and about a month ago she injured her back right leg so she now doesnt use it at all. I have taken her to the vet and now she recieves 1ml of pain killers daily. However about 5 days ago i noticed she was wheezing when she was lying down but i couldnt reach a vet until the next day. Things had gotten worse and she began making noises when she was peeing and lying down. I took her to the vet that have given antibiotics which have to be given twice daily into the mouth. I have struggled to put this into her mouth so i put some on her front paw and she licked it off. I was wondering if it is ok to continue putting this on her paws and do you think the vet will put her down when i take her back in 2 days. I am really worried about her making these noises as i dont want her to be in pain.

Back