• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Length of time for vet to send insurance claim?

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Hi everybody!
So we took Luna to the emergency vets three and a half weeks ago due to a gi stasis and then had a follow up appt. on the next day. Whilst at the vets we filled in the insurance paperwork. The vets acknowledge that they haven't yet sent it as they have 'loads of claims to catch up on' and they don't seem fussed despite my phoning or going in three times since. This is the first claim I've ever made so I don't know if I'm being unreasonable or if its a long time? The nurse I spoke to today refused to even give me an idea of when it could possibly be sent. Any thoughts? :wave:

Does seem a long time! The longest one has taken for me was a couple of weeks, and that's because I took it in just before Christmas so it didn't get done until the start of January. But normally they do them within a few days. I guess if they've got one nurse who deals with them and she's been on holiday/off sick/particularly busy then I can see that it must be fairly easy to get behind, especially as it's not as if they can stop doing their nursing job to fill in the forms...but having said that a few weeks doesn't seem terribly reasonable, especially if they can't even tell you how far down the pile you are and how much longer it might take. Perhaps if you start making noises that it needs to be with your insurer by xxx date, it might chivvy them along a bit? Good luck x

My vet didnt send Floppys claim for about 10 days.. all in all it took about a month to hear anything back from Petplan

Santa, from what they said it's the vet himself who deals with his claims. It did annoy me a little, as because it was an emergency visit and check up with meds etc, even discounting the excess it should be well over £100 that we get back! OH just sort of brushed it off (he paid for it!) but I've said I'm going to pester every week until they get so fed up of me that they just send it! Thank you though, it's hard to know if your expectations are unreasonable if you've never done it before! x

Fee, sorry to hear it took you a while too! By my estimations, I make this the 20th working day (counting Saturdays as they're open, discounting the bank holiday) that they've had it for!

Back