• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC bunny please help UD p47 possible lung scarring/water on lungs

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Having read lots of threads I see people use echinacea

I have a bottle how many drops should I put in water bowl? Leo is not well we are worming him and giving metacam

UD

After taking Leo to yet another vet last night as he was deteriorating (rapid breathing and coughing and nose up in the air) the vet inspected the xrays previously taken. Where they had previously been analyzed nothing out of the ordinary was found. This vet says she can see dark areas on the lungs which may indicate lung scarring or water on the lungs.

She gave him a shot of penicillin and metacam and he instantly became more active, eating, drinking, pooping and his nose settled down (it was really flared up), he is still rapid breathing but not seriously rapid breathing.

However tonight he is taking a turn again getting worse. Could this be the penicillin wearing off?

We gave him metacam this morning and this evening, along with his lapizol for EC.

He is in first thing Monday morning for new x-rays to see if they can get a better look at his lungs.

Are there any blood tests I can request? I know there is one for EC which I would like to test both Jemima and Leo to see if they are positive.

What other blood tests can I request?

The other option is an ultrasound for the heart, however they do not analyse the data it would need sending off.

I spoke about possible heart disease, and that the liquid on the lungs could be an affect of heart disease however she doesn't think it is. She believes he has some kind of pneumonia type illness that may have resulted in scarring in the lungs, or liquid on the lungs.

I have been checking his poo every time he goes to the litter tray and they are darker and slightly smaller but satisfactory. I've been watching him ALL DAY, slowly he has gotten worse with his breathing.

Any advice much appreciated thank you xxx

Last edited:
I put two or three drops in a basil leaf,I then know that the bunny is getting the right dose.You should give the echinacea for five days then have two days break.

Ive found with herbal medicines that they need to get into the mucus membranes to be effective.Thats why I use a basil leaf which can be tipped into the mouth.One of my poorly buns wouldn't eat basil so I put the drops on a piece of toast,he showed no signs of improvement.

Leo has gotten worse the past two days with head in air and mouth open and rapid breathing

Apart from the medicine he is on what else can I do??

He's had x rays that shows nothing wrong at all, diagnosed with EC

He is on lapizol and metacam

Any advice please? I have echinacea drops and multi vitamin drops for rabbits would this help? Is there anything more I can do?

He is hiccuping a lot but maybe sneezes or coughs but looks like hiccuping

When you say mouth open and rapid breathing, are you saying she is mouth breathing? If so you need to take her back to the vet.

No the vet gave me lapizol which is the same thing as panacur only different branding I believe, she is a rabbit savvy vet, fat fluffs use her

Right that's good then they are actually different but I believe lapizol is better

Ec attacks get worse before they get better... Yuki sadly passed away from ec in the end but had 4 attacks of it over the years and it finally took its toll in October...

Ec is not a death sentence but some buns survive and live years an live their whole life span others the body just can't fight it anymore

Always have hope and try to stay calm they can sense our emotions and you want to be calm for their sake

Just keep up treating giving love letting the bun know your there for them and giving them treats

Right that's good then they are actually different but I believe lapizol is better

Ec attacks get worse before they get better... Yuki sadly passed away from ec in the end but had 4 attacks of it over the years and it finally took its toll in October...

Ec is not a death sentence but some buns survive and live years an live their whole life span others the body just can't fight it anymore

Always have hope and try to stay calm they can sense our emotions and you want to be calm for their sake

Just keep up treating giving love letting the bun know your there for them and giving them treats

Lapizole and Panacur have exactly the same active ingredient Fenbendazole

OP it sounds as though your Rabbit is in respiratory distress. This is a medical emergency and you need to get him straight back to the Vet. He may indeed have EC, but there could also be a bacterial infection involved and as he is not having any antibiotic cover this is a major concern

My advice would be to get him back to the Vet now

Let us know how you get on at the vets. Hope you can get something that helps him on his recovery. Lots of vibes for him.

Lapizole and Panacur have exactly the same active ingredient Fenbendazole

OP it sounds as though your Rabbit is in respiratory distress. This is a medical emergency and you need to get him straight back to the Vet. He may indeed have EC, but there could also be a bacterial infection involved and as he is not having any antibiotic cover this is a major concern

My advice would be to get him back to the Vet now

In my experience with ec with yuki for some reason lapizol worked better .... i dont know why

its just my experience of it...

but yes get them back to the vet anti biotics is a good idea just incase and metacam for any inflamation or pain

Hope bunny is ok.

There are lots of advice and tips people have on here on dealing with EC. I found Laura's tip of massaging the neck duringteh head tilt especially very good. My bun had EC and made a complete recovery.

He is no longer opening his mouth and holding his high in the air now, he was doing this last night, but I think i over exaggerated, his mouth is not wide open when he does this it is just open a little.

He is not doing it today, it is when we administer his medicine he does it and afterwards. Also the evenings if he is too hot or has just had a mad run around or grooming himself.

I have spoken to the vet. There is definately NO bacterial infection. His x-ray scans are all perfect, perfect bone structure, perfect teeth, no infections or tumors or abcesses or anything at all, he has had thorough x-rays.

The vet advised I swap giving him 1 dose daily to 2 doses daily of 0.3mg instead of one 0.5mg of metacam and to keep doing the lapizole.

She believes he has neck pain which is why he no longer bunny flops and occasionally does his head high breathing thing

I think it may have been the cat that snuck up to the french door windows and was watching them last night that got him stressed out, I had to go out and chase it away.

Its whenever he exerts himself or is stressed out he holds his nose in the air and has his mouth open a little and rappid breathing.

Any advice on helping with neck pain apart from using metacam which we have given a dose this morning and will tonight?

He is 1.5kg.

Thank you all for your support xxx

He is no longer opening his mouth and holding his high in the air now, he was doing this last night, but I think i over exaggerated, his mouth is not wide open when he does this it is just open a little.

He is not doing it today, it is when we administer his medicine he does it and afterwards. Also the evenings if he is too hot or has just had a mad run around or grooming himself.

I have spoken to the vet. There is definately NO bacterial infection. His x-ray scans are all perfect, perfect bone structure, perfect teeth, no infections or tumors or abcesses or anything at all, he has had thorough x-rays.

The vet advised I swap giving him 1 dose daily to 2 doses daily of 0.3mg instead of one 0.5mg of metacam and to keep doing the lapizole.

She believes he has neck pain which is why he no longer bunny flops and occasionally does his head high breathing thing

I think it may have been the cat that snuck up to the french door windows and was watching them last night that got him stressed out, I had to go out and chase it away.

Its whenever he exerts himself or is stressed out he holds his nose in the air and has his mouth open a little and rappid breathing.

Any advice on helping with neck pain apart from using metacam which we have given a dose this morning and will tonight?

He is 1.5kg.

Thank you all for your support xxx

I forgot to add, when he does his nose in the air and mouth open thing he is still breathing through his nose

Back