• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Echinacea and excess cecals

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I thought it would be useful for both of my rabbits as they are both on antibiotics, one for a chronic infection in the eyes/nose/ears/sinuses and one for a jaw abscess. However it seems to have given one or both of them masses of excess cecals. I'm not sure if it was Grim or Smoo. Has anyone experienced this? I've stopped it now but I'm a bit gutted as I thought it might really help.

Doughnut is on echinacea but because I've tried to fatten her up and she's having alfalfa hay and pellets she is getting soft poops, so hard to know really. I think it's because she is getting too much protein and not the echinacea. When I have reduced everything down she hasn't got them so don't think it's linked to the echinacea.

Sorry I can't give a definite answer though!

I've heard that when buns have something unusual in their diet (usually medicine, but occasionally unusual tasting/smelling herbs) it can change the way the cecals smell, which makes them choose to discard it instead of ingest it. After Peabody was ill and on an oral medication for a few days she left a cecal uneaten - this is the only time she's ever done it. Once she was off the medication it never happened again. Maybe either the anti-biotics or the ecinachea is making them smell different...?

Charlie hasn't had any problems on the enchinacea. The only time I've ever seen excess cecals with Charlie is when we changed antibiotic- and now its completely settled down again. Could it be the antibiotic? Or anything different diet wise?

What about giving a prebiotic in addtion to the echinacea? Might help?!

All three of mine have had echinacea and none have had excess cecals despite it being something Mini tends to suffer with.

Thanks. :)

They've both been on the same antibiotics for a long time so it wasn't those. I might start them again but give them just a tiny, tiny amount for a week and build up.

Not had this from feeding echinacea as dried coneflower, but we had a similar issue with Goose & avipro...... we were giving it to try and help with leaving ceacals and it got worse rather than better.

Not had this from feeding echinacea as dried coneflower, but we had a similar issue with Goose & avipro...... we were giving it to try and help with leaving ceacals and it got worse rather than better.

Is avipro the one that goes in water? I found that made Minis worse too, I stick with Protexin Profibre.

Back