• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 weeks in to Baytril and Ellie still wheezing. :( u/d meds finished, help..what now?

LainiT

Warren Scout
So we are 2 weeks in to a 3 week course of Baytril for Ellie's sneezing and wheezing. She seems a bit brighter, eating a lot more enthusiastically but her wheezing is on and off still and when its bad (for the last 2 evenings) its worse than its ever been.

Should I carry on with the 3rd week? Should I go back and see about alternatives? Her sneezing seems to have stopped which is a step forward I guess, but I dont want to waste any time if I need to be going down a different route.

I've posted a couple more times in health if anyone needs full story, I just need advice please :(

Last edited:
I would take her back to the Vet as it may be necessary to change the abx and possibly give additional types of medication too.

Yes I would go back too I would have thought you would see a better improvement. There are lots of antibiotics so maybe a different one would be better for her.

Ellie's booked in at the vets tomorrow...just given her tonight's Baytril and she's not making a sound!! :roll:
not a wheeze or a sniffle or a sneeze.

Typical!! Still be taking her tomorrow though, its just like the kids...book em in at the docs and they make a miraculous recovery :lol:

:wave: aaaaw thanks for asking...she was a bit wheezy at the vet, stress no doubt. Her chest is still clear, upper respiritory still. We've got to continue with the 3rd week of Baytril, she's happy that her wet nose and most of her sneezing has cleared up, so need to finish the course, then go back after a drug free week. If she's still bad the vet is talking about admitting her for the day to get swabs and see what's going on.

I'm so pleased she's an indoor bun atm cos how the heck do you pick up these things in outdoor buns?? Ain't no chance of hearing her wheezing when the birds are a tweeting and the wind is a blowing!!

if there has been improvement could you ask the vet about extending the course? three weeks won't be enough to get deep into the nose, the spores etc. my vet does an absolute minimum of 6 weeks to 3 month treatment at the first signs of a uri, because with short courses, it can seem like it's gone, when really it is still deep in the nose, which then makes the symptoms start all over again not long after. unfortunately this happened to bisc and matt and by the time we went to a rabbit vet, it had caused alot of damage in their nasal passages. then it becomes more of a struggle to find something that works.

not trying to be negative as it's good there is improvement, just i have seen it before and the vet explained to me about it so i worry when people get given short courses etc.

i would ask to extend the baytril course, and then think of the tests.

i suppose your vet could be thinking that 3 weeks should be enough and then any subseqent flare ups will require another short course again each time, and i think this has been the case for some, but just wanted you to be aware incase it comes back after quite quickly and then you worry, which i did. x

eta: also, we tried alot of things with matt and i wasn't sure with most of them if he was improving enough or at all, and the vet also said you should know pretty quickly if it's the right meds, as there will be a big improvement within about 4-5 days, which i never noticed until we put him on the combination that he has been on ever since. the difference was amazing and it was in the four days as he said! everything else before i would post saying i think this could be the meds, or i think this might be right, but when we found that combination i was like, this is the one! lol. x

Last edited:
:cry: and now we have a bout of stasis. She wasn't eating anything this morning, nothing would tempt her, so off to the vets this aft. OH took her as its my 1 day a week at work (typical) not checked the receipt yet but she's had a gut stimulant injection, a pain killer injection and been sent home with a sachet of recovery food and an appt for tomorrow morning.

Do I not give her her Baytril for tonight? Save stressing her even more? I'm just about to go out and pick some grass to tempt her now I'm back. Bless her, how many times do I need to give her this Recovery mix? Can't believe this is happening. Vet said he could feel a few pellets in her gut:cry: I'm scared, I know this is what we all dread

:cry: and now we have a bout of stasis. She wasn't eating anything this morning, nothing would tempt her, so off to the vets this aft. OH took her as its my 1 day a week at work (typical) not checked the receipt yet but she's had a gut stimulant injection, a pain killer injection and been sent home with a sachet of recovery food and an appt for tomorrow morning.

Do I not give her her Baytril for tonight? Save stressing her even more? I'm just about to go out and pick some grass to tempt her now I'm back. Bless her, how many times do I need to give her this Recovery mix? Can't believe this is happening. Vet said he could feel a few pellets in her gut:cry: I'm scared, I know this is what we all dread

i got your pm and replied.

sorry to hear she has been in stasis. how is she now?

i have found protexin pro-fibre pellets to be really excellent for bisc and matt. they went through a phase of being ill alot with their respiratory problems, needing dentals, gassy bloat and stasis. it all seemed to come at once all the time over a period of time. anyway, i switched to these pro-fibre pellets and they have kept a nice stable weight since and just seem healthier for having them. i think maybe these snuffle bunnies need that extra support. :wave:

Thankyou! The support on here is amazing....I've still no idea which route to take, as I said I've got 8 weeks before the holiday to get her sorted ...eeek!!

She's back on track now stasis wise, vet said on Fri he could feel a few pellets/bits of poo but they were gone on Sat and she's gradually got back to herself over the weekend and I've never seen her so desperate to eat the grass I'd picked this morning!!

Thanks for asking, thanks for pm-ing and thanks for the advice AGAIN!! X

Thankyou! The support on here is amazing....I've still no idea which route to take, as I said I've got 8 weeks before the holiday to get her sorted ...eeek!!

She's back on track now stasis wise, vet said on Fri he could feel a few pellets/bits of poo but they were gone on Sat and she's gradually got back to herself over the weekend and I've never seen her so desperate to eat the grass I'd picked this morning!!

Thanks for asking, thanks for pm-ing and thanks for the advice AGAIN!! X

If she still isn't right and continues to need meds/special care when you are due to go on holiday, then she could come to me.

I've no problem with administering meds, syringe feeding etc. Had my group of three all with pasteurellosis at the same time, all needing meds and syringe feeding every two hours, so I can cope.

I have room upstairs so she would be isolated from my bunch.

The offer is there is you need it, so don't worry yourself. :wave:

If she still isn't right and continues to need meds/special care when you are due to go on holiday, then she could come to me.

I've no problem with administering meds, syringe feeding etc. Had my group of three all with pasteurellosis at the same time, all needing meds and syringe feeding every two hours, so I can cope.

:love: :thumb: Tracy wow! oh my gosh I have no idea what to say...THANKYOU probably is a good place to start...secondly, are you sure??...Thirdly Thankyou again and fourthly I'm getting in my car now to come hunt you down and give you a huge hug :shock: :lol: Thankyou!! That means such a lot and buys me a bit of time.

I've got the bunnies (er yes, there are 2! :shock:) booked in to where I've boarded before near Chesterfield, but she's rubbish at getting in touch, never answers her phone, I've text her to tell her the situation with Ellie and that I need to talk to her but not heard from her yet. Hopefully she'll be fine about it but will let you know. Tracy you have no idea what a star you are!!

She's got a couple of days of Baytril left, then we have a week med free then its back to see Hanna and I'm now thinking I need to get her in for swabs and all the tests just to try and get her stable before we go away. I just keep thinking about her being poked and prodded and it makes me want to cry though.

Have I said how much I appreciate your offer :lol: Will definitely be in touch to let you know how things are progressing. xxx

aw that's a lovely offer. :love:

So, we finished the Baytril a week ago. Went back for a check up yesterday, the vet says she's definitely less wheezy in her throat than she was, and is quite happy with her progress., even though Ellie is still wheezy every night. It doesn't seem to bother her though.

What I've been advised is to carry on monitoring her and any change to go back. The vet thinks the wheezing I can hear is more than likely scarring from the infection. I told her the sneezing has v much calmed down, not seen a sneezing fit for a couple of weeks although we do get the odd single or double sneeze, and a tiny bit of white discharge occasionally.

Typically, the second we walked back in from the vet she had a big sneezing fit (maybe 15 or so sneezes) and had a couple of the same last night:roll:

I've got no more meds for her, except Biosolvon for her food. I still don't know whether to go down the swabs and tests route, but the thought of having her sedated really worries me. Am I doing this for my benefit so I know for sure that this IS just scarring and I can rest easy? Would scarring present itself in this way? Surely she wouldn't still be sneezing if it was that? She's been off meds for a week, so only another 1 to go til the tests can be done and if she gets bad again who knows when I'll be able to safely do this again. How 'sedated' do they have to be for the tests to be done? Is it worryingly bad??

Vet also said to try 0.1 of a ml of Piriton syrup, if its an allergy then it should clear that up too...it puts my kids to sleep so that will be interesting!:lol:

Feeling very mixed up and don't know what to do...if I need to do anything, I'm just scared of her getting bad again. Cor blimey this is v long and I'm not sure that I've even said anything... :?

Sorry she's still not better :( I haven't had a C&S test done, so I'm not sure what it involves, hope someone else can advise. Sending lots of vibes for Ellie xx

only just seen this ... :?

haven't read the whole thread as don't have time just now ... could you try Zithromax or septrin ... we have had good results with both ..especialy Zithromax

I asked about different antibiotics, she did mention septrin but was quite dismissive of it, thats what makes me question if I'm pushing more abx on Ellie unnecessarily. I don't doubt for a second that I'll be back with her pretty soon, its just which route to take.:?

Back