• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun with myxo

Jan

Warren Scout
Vibes needed please, poor Bliss has myxomatosis! :cry: I dont beleive this, she was vaccinated almost 2wks ago to the day she started showing signs. It so annoys me I have always tried my best to keep my buns with the highest standard of care. Life just isn`t fair. She is on 2 lots of meds and I am cleaning her eyes and applying drops in them 3 times a day. I have only had her about 4 wks she has been spayed and vaccinated and bonded in that short time, now this. Has anyone nursed their bun through this? How long before you saw any improvement? Any info would be helpful.

I'm so sorry.
I believe several members have nursed vaccinated rabbits with myxi and I hope someone will see your thread and be able to offer advice.

I'm so sorry.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply, but I just wanted to send vibes x

are you sure it isn't a reaction to the vaccine ..?
we had 3 buns in the last year who had reactions to the new vaccine ...all developed symptoms around 8 days after vaccination . 2 had scabby , sore eyes ... one had lumps and scabs on ears . ALL looked very mych like nodular myxi . All made full recovery .
It does state on the nobiva site that this can happen .. I will find a link

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

look under immunological properties ... its there
:wave:

Its realy is peeing me off how vets don't look into this and take this into account when these symptoms appear after vaccination .
how many buns get pts for no reason because of this . :(

The info isn't difficult to find ,,,its on the manufacturers website .:?

of course theres always a chance that bun could have caught myxi before the vacs and the symptoms only just be showing ... but a coincidence don't you think .

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

look under immunological properties ... its there
:wave:

Its realy is peeing me off how vets don't look into this and take this into account when these symptoms appear after vaccination .
how many buns get pts for no reason because of this . :(

The info isn't difficult to find ,,,its on the manufacturers website .:?

of course theres always a chance that bun could have caught myxi before the vacs and the symptoms only just be showing ... but a coincidence don't you think .

Thank you so much I hope this is the case and she makes a full recovery. You really have made me feel a little more positive. She is such a gorgeous bun I am keeping everything crossed. Thank you once again.

Hopefully it is just a bit of a reaction and not full on myxi, sending vibes.

If it makes you feel any better, both of my buns caught myxi two years ago, one nodular and one full on respiratory, both having been vaccinated. Both made a full recovery after six months, and I'd say the symptoms peaked (at their worst) at about three.

At the worst, we had antibiotics twice a day every day, eye drops for one of them, carefully measured portions of probiotic yoghurt after a while because the antibiotics were messing with their stomachs and they didn't like the medicated probiotic powder the vet gave us, vaporub dissolved in hot water to clear airways, and regular gentle warm baths for the sores. So, basically, it was hell, but they both made it through.

The only observable sign on Java now is that he is, er, missing a chunk of his nose where he had a lump, and where it healed and came off it took a fair bit of his nose with it...he doesn't seem to mind, and we're all agreed that he looks much more masculine now, as he was altogether a bit too cute before!

So, I really hope it is just a reaction, but if you need anything, I've been there :)

Sending positive vibes for Bliss (great name) hope its just a vaccine reaction :wave:

Thought I`d invite you all to join me in a huge smile :D, Bliss is recovering so well and is so tolerant of all I have been doing to her. Bathing eyes twice daily two lots of meds daily and she still loves her Mum. How lucky am I? Bill her companion has been there for her through all this, they love eachother so much. When she is fully recovered I will post pics. Thank you to all that sent her healing vibes and good wishes.

I read the beginning of this and felt so sad! Very happy that at the end you have posted shes getting better! Heres to a full recovery to you bun xx

Back