• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Flop???

I was going out to feed my rabbits and as soon as I opened to hutch door, Brave, one of the youngest, started jumping frantically and running fast around the cage. Then he lay down on his side, his legs weak and life-less. His head was on the ground too, flat side ways and he seemed to be breathing in a stressed panic way. I searched the internet and found some information on this and it was called bunny flop. A few days later he did it again and now it's been his third time and I've had to pick him up and cuddle himto calm him down. Should I be worried? what is causing the flops? How can I stop them?

To be honest, it doesn't sound like a typical relaxed bunny flop to me. Normally when a bunny flops due to being relaxed (often prior to sleeping) they usually drop suddenly (indoor buns often do it on their favourite spot) sometimes wriggling or flapping their ears around to get comfortable. I have never noticed fast breathing, or bunny appearing stressed or panicked, so i would suggest you consult your vet about this.

I would also say that picking him up is unlikely to comfort him as picking up is usually done by preditors. Will be interested to hear what the vet has to say. Best of luck :wave:

Our new bun flops all the time! She sometimes pants too, she panys when she flops after doing circuits of yhe loung and binkying a lot so I would say panting would be ok if the flop has happened after other happy excited bunny behaviour. If no excitement before the flop I would say a vet would be a good place to take your bun to check for other things that could cause it such as EC or other bunny ailments

It doesnt sound like a traditional bunny flop.
A traditional flop happens when they are excited or over come with joy!
So if he seemed stressed he prob wasnt flopped but had a sudden lack of energy.
I would pop him to the vets to be safe.

Back