• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Bum, help please! :-)

Peter& Benjamin

Young Bun
Hi All, I've just introduced myself and my two new buns, Peter and Benjamin, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? Peter (3 year old French Lop, quite a big boy & VERY fluffy) has a bit of a mucky bum. I've read loads about possible causes, and reckon its probably his diet. They have both been with me for a week, coming from rescue, where they were allowed to graze on as much pellet mix as they wanted. I have kept them on the same pellets (Excel) and carried on the same regime of letting them graze on what they want. They have access to fresh timothy hay 24/7 and i also supplement with lots of green veg. I've been advised to cut the pellets down, which I’m starting to do, to encourage them to eat more hay, which should help the cause of Peter's dirty bum. (Opinions on that very welcome).

The thing that is worrying me at the moment, is how to clean the existing poo from his fur. He is very nervous and i have spent hours on the floor with him to build his confidence. He how feeds from my hands and lets me stroke him and groom his back, but won't let me pick him up or properly get to his bum area. They are both indoor buns, so fly strike isn't so much of a concern, but i know i need to get it off ASAP, but really not sure how when he won't let me near the area? Some websites have mentioned covering them with a towel and turning them over, i hate the idea of that, as it will destroy all the trust he has so far gained in me, as will popping him in a shallow bath.

Any ideas on how to go about sorting this without mentally scaring the poor bun would be greatly appreciated, do you think its better to leave it another week or so until he (hopefully) lets me? The other think i was thinking was to take him to the vets and ask them to do it, so he doesn’t associate it being done with me? Thanks in advance, Emma x

Gradually cutting down on pellets is a good start :) As you've said, they need unlimited hay so should eat that when hungry, as long as they have no problems with teeth etc. You could also try cutting down on the veg as well for now - and then try building that up slowly again once the problem is sorted.

I would suggest taking to the vet for a first bottom-wash, as seeing it done might give you more confidence with what to do if it needs doing again? If the area is really fluffy then they may trim the fur as well to get some out. I really wouldn't recommend turning over on their back unless really necessary (i.e. trancing, if that's what you mean) as it can stress bunnies out even more.

Thanks so much for the quick reply :) Yes i think its trancing that i saw mentioned somewhere, sounds awful! Def not something i'd want to try! They both eat fine, and were checked by the rescue centre's vet before they left, so pretty sure theres nothing wrong with his teeth. Will cutting down the veg be ok for house buns who don't have access to fresh grass? (Bit owrried they won't be getting their vitamins!). I wanted my own vet to give them both a once over anyway, so will book that in this week, and hopefully she wont think i'm nuts for asking her to wash my rabbits bum for me! :roll: Thanks again, Emma x

They get their vits from the hay and the rest is supplemented by the pellets.
Id reduce pellets gradually and I usually do a handful of herbs at dinner time as well.
What veg is it you feed?
I agree with getting the vet to do the first wash, means he will still trust you :)

The rescue had had them on spring greens, brocolli and carrots, so i've continued with those, but reduced the carrots slightly, and have started to introduce brussel sprouts, a bit of cucumber and some kale. They're both big buns (Peter especially) and eat loads if left to it. Will def start to reduce their pellets. Thanks :D

Carrot is quite a sugary veg, so you're right to reduce that. I wouldn't give it every day even, maybe a small bit once or twice a week? Carrot tops are good though!

I'm not sure cucumber really has any nutritious value to it - it's obviously very watery as well, so I would have thought it could make the messy bum problem worse? But maybe good for bunnies who don't drink a lot.

Last edited:
I would introduce more herbs and less veg, carrot isn't good to have more than once a week and brussels can cause gas if too much is given. Herbs are gentler on the stomach, Doughnut loves dill and coriander.

I reduced Doughnut's pellets as she used to get a mucky bum, she only has an egg cup now as they are meant as a treat and I also changed from Excel to SS as Excel gave her a mucky bum too. As you gradually reduce you will hopefully come to a level that you find stops it.

Don't worry about them cleaning your rabbits bum. When Doughnut used to go in for a nail clip they clipped her fur too to get the poop off. This was when she was little and I was told to give her unlimited pellets. Once it's clipped a bit round there then hopefully it won't stick again and you will have a chance to sort the diet out. Good luck.

Back