• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rug doctor questions

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I'm so embarrassed at the state of my carpets I can no longer have guests over. My OH failed to notice Frankie had done a wee in the middle of the room the other night when I was out, so when I went to clean it the next day of course it would not come out. :roll:

I have a few questions about hiring the rug doctor machine (think it's our only hope)

1) is it noisy - we can't vacuum with Lola in the next room (sort of open plan) she has to be carried upstairs and held until it's done. Is it a similar noise level?

2) is there a special pet safe cleaner? Is it safe to be in the air when I bring Lola back down?

3) does it take long to dry?

4) Just how good is it? is it good for old stains that have been scrubbed by other cleaners previously?

Sorry for all the questions, I did a quick search but it brought up hundreds of threads about doctors :lol:

I have a few questions about hiring the rug doctor machine (think it's our only hope)

1) is it noisy - we can't vacuum with Lola in the next room (sort of open plan) she has to be carried upstairs and held until it's done. Is it a similar noise level?

Yes as noisy as a vacuum cleaner.

2) is there a special pet safe cleaner? Is it safe to be in the air when I bring Lola back down?

It does say pet safe but doesn't specify what pets so my guess is dogs and cats!! I use only warm water and occasionally the pet stain spot spray to give a pre-wash squirt!

3) does it take long to dry?

A few hours if the heating is on or it's fairly warm, generally feels a bit damp to the touch after its done, not soaking!

4) Just how good is it? is it good for old stains that have been scrubbed by other cleaners previously?

I was very impressed! My Daisy has caecal dysbiosis so I get lots of brown stains on my carpets! In the end I invested in a VAX carpet cleaner which I am equally pleased with!

The rug doctors are totally over rrated we think - we hired one and it was rubbish! we've bought a vax carpet cleaner, its really good... but is very noisy!

The rug doctors are totally over rrated we think - we hired one and it was rubbish! we've bought a vax carpet cleaner, its really good... but is very noisy!

Really? I guess a lot of places hire them out and if you end up with an old well used one maybe that wouldnt be as good?! but on the occasions I have used them I have found they cleaned the carpets very well. The hand held tool was especially useful for removing some wee stains!

This is the VAX I have now and I think its great! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-W90-RU-...1AXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364989643&sr=8-1

The rug doctor do a spray you can buy separately that gets rid of urine. I found it really useful. I found the rug doctor really good for getting rid of the smell, but I used in on a dark red carpet so I can't comment on stains. My sister has always used neat vinegar on her cream carpet, then piled kitchen towels and heavy books on top and left it over night.

Really? I guess a lot of places hire them out and if you end up with an old well used one maybe that wouldnt be as good?! but on the occasions I have used them I have found they cleaned the carpets very well. The hand held tool was especially useful for removing some wee stains!

This is the VAX I have now and I think its great! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-W90-RU-...1AXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364989643&sr=8-1

This is the same one we have and its fab!!! the vax carpet shampoo smells loooooovely too :D

have you tried the vanish foaming spray stuff? (If it's still around - a few years now since we last used it) It got red wine & bunny wee out of a green carpet in our rented house....

I've used Vax and Bissell carpet cleaners, and I'll never bother again, after hiring a Rug Doctor. It was way more effective. It is very very noisy though, and it did take a fair while for the thicker carpets to dry. I used the shampoo they sell with it.

Thank you all for the replies.

I've not tried the vanish sprays on their stains thinking about it. I've used Bissell pet stain and simple solution for pets. Both very good but only on fresh stains really. I'd be so tempted to buy a vax but my OH has filled our entire storage cupboard with dj equipment. I can't even put the dyson away now :censored:

Maybe I'll I take up the carpet and get lucky and find a lovely wooden floor underneath. My friend did that in her house, lucky thing!

Back