• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is cactus poison to bunny? Barbie just ate!

Little_Girl

Warren Scout
*i hv posted this in the Diet section, maybe i should post it here instead (sorry!)

erhh...Barbie just managed to have a bite or two of my cactus plant (one without the 'needles')....
i cant believe she can jump up to that high to get it....

she seems okay, eating her hay as usual....but i wonder if they are poison to the bun?? If so, what should i do now?

thanks!

*i hv posted this in the Diet section, maybe i should post it here instead (sorry!)

erhh...Barbie just managed to have a bite or two of my cactus plant (one without the 'needles')....
i cant believe she can jump up to that high to get it....

she seems okay, eating her hay as usual....but i wonder if they are poison to the bun?? If so, what should i do now?

thanks!

Only cactus thorn is apparently when i researched it as it doesnt say any thing about the actual plant .

Only cactus thorn is apparently when i researched it as it doesnt say any thing about the actual plant .

thanks for reply. thats what i found on internet too...

But my cactus plant doesnt have any thorns at all, it is kind of soft and 'dying' which i should have thrown away...

Barbie shows no signs of unwell so far which im glad! still eating like a horse as usual!

one thing I found on a website: Vitamin E tablet can be given to rabbits if they have eaten plants/chemicals that they shouldnt have,

Is that TRUE? Anyone know?

(im not going to try this now but would be useful to know)

In the wild chinchillas eat their way up the centre of cacti's, so if its safe for chinchillas, it would be ok for rabbits as their diet is fairly similiar, although not the same but whatever is poisonous to rabbits is the same for chinchillas.

Never heard of the vitamin E theory and I definately wouldn't be giving a rabbit a tablet designed for humans.

If your bunny didn't eat any of the thorns I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
In the wild chinchillas eat their way up the centre of cacti's, so if its safe for chinchillas, it would be ok for rabbits as their diet is fairly similiar, although not the same but whatever is poisonous to rabbits is the same for chinchillas.

Never heard of the vitamin E theory and I definately wouldn't be giving a rabbit a tablet designed for humans.

If your bunny didn't eat any of the thorns I wouldn't worry.

thank you! that makes me feel a lot better...

i dont think she has anything 'abnormal', but will keep an eye on her!

this is where i found about the vitamin E:
http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/meds.htm

thank you! that makes me feel a lot better...

i dont think she has anything 'abnormal', but will keep an eye on her!

this is where i found about the vitamin E:
http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/meds.htm

I noticed its an American website. Nearly everything on there I have never heard of using on rabbits, I would be careful. Better to ask here or your vet.

Glad to hear Barbie is fine. She will be fine. :D

Give her some fresh water in a bowl (to encourage her to drink more) and if she is a good hay eater I'd restrict her diet to just hay and water for a day. This should help her gut and help push it through and flush it out. Keep a close eye on what she is eating and drinking, and what is coming out the other end, for the next 48 hours, but other than that there isn't much you can do. Obviously if there are signs of trouble get her to a vet.

I wouldn't worry too much, but do take precautions because even if it isn't poisonous as such it could still cause gut problems or other issues. The above is my standard practice for when the buns have eaten anything they shouldn't.

Give her some fresh water in a bowl (to encourage her to drink more) and if she is a good hay eater I'd restrict her diet to just hay and water for a day. This should help her gut and help push it through and flush it out. Keep a close eye on what she is eating and drinking, and what is coming out the other end, for the next 48 hours, but other than that there isn't much you can do. Obviously if there are signs of trouble get her to a vet.

I wouldn't worry too much, but do take precautions because even if it isn't poisonous as such it could still cause gut problems or other issues. The above is my standard practice for when the buns have eaten anything they shouldn't.

thank you nessar! x

Back