• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best rabbit ear wax cleaner

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Whats the best ear wax cleaner you use for your buns? I've been using Cleanaural for a while now for Darcy but I just don't think its working well enough for him. He has arthritis in his hips and spondylosis in his spine so I have to keep his ear cleans for him as the wax can build up with his age and disability. :(

I got given Canaural from the vet when Marley was shaking his head with what I thought might be an ear infection. It cleared up but he has had wax since. One vet used cotton tips and just delved into the edge but I don't think I'd ever dare. I was wondering the same, maybe an ear wash rather than waxyish drops...

I got given Canaural from the vet when Marley was shaking his head with what I thought might be an ear infection. It cleared up but he has had wax since. One vet used cotton tips and just delved into the edge but I don't think I'd ever dare. I was wondering the same, maybe an ear wash rather than waxyish drops...
The best thing I know of for clearing wax is Quistel ear cleaner, it's all natural and not oil-based so less likely to build up in the hair/ear canal.

http://www.quistel.com/information/index.php?page=earcleaner

I've only used it on dogs but apparently it's fine for all pets :wave:

The best thing I know of for clearing wax is Quistel ear cleaner, it's all natural and not oil-based so less likely to build up in the hair/ear canal.

http://www.quistel.com/information/index.php?page=earcleaner

I've only used it on dogs but apparently it's fine for all pets :wave:

This looks pretty good! :thumb: I think I'll probably order some and just do it once a month to help keep things clear. I like that it's not oil-based. Is it expensive? £7.50 for 50ml?

I think a bottle is a 2-week course so if you only use it once a month it should last a while. I'm sure if you search online it can be found cheaper.

Last edited:
I was just about to make a thread on here about how to help Julie clean the wax from her ear.
She too has arthritis in her hips and can't reach her ear with her back foot. Her ears must be really bothering her at the moment as her puts her ear down and her back foot goes crazy scratching the air like mad.
She figures out the scratching isn't touching her ear so she starts to rub her ear on the floor like crazy then falls over.
Her vet scooped out a ton of wax her last visit with a big Q tip. I am too afraid to do this also.
I have been rubbing her ear at the base upward. She loves this and leans hard into it. It seems to satisfy her need for scratching but so far I haven't seen any wax come up nor can I see any down inside.

I was just about to make a thread on here about how to help Julie clean the wax from her ear.
She too has arthritis in her hips and can't reach her ear with her back foot. Her ears must be really bothering her at the moment as her puts her ear down and her back foot goes crazy scratching the air like mad.
She figures out the scratching isn't touching her ear so she starts to rub her ear on the floor like crazy then falls over.
Her vet scooped out a ton of wax her last visit with a big Q tip. I am too afraid to do this also.
I have been rubbing her ear at the base upward. She loves this and leans hard into it. It seems to satisfy her need for scratching but so far I haven't seen any wax come up nor can I see any down inside.

I've always been the same about cleaning Darcy's ears out. So scared of hurting him so being extra gentle. But then the vet was much more "robustly" cleaning his ears even with q-tips! I'm using them just to the out flaps when there has been a build up but never inside the ear, I'm way too scared of hurting him. Hope this new stuff helps.

I use logic ear cleaner.

It works really well for Lilly (she has persistent excessive wax build up in both ears :(). It says "for cats and dogs" but the vet prescribed it for Lilly and said it's fine for rabbits.

Back