• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has my cat broken her leg ??

mariebx2010

Young Bun
DONT KNOW IF THIS POST IS ALLOWED-Last night my 2 yo cat and 7 yo old cat was in the garden with another cat,and i think the 2 yo was fighting with it.A few hours after i let her in i noticed she was walking really slow,when she jumps up to her 6ft cat tree or 3ft cage she cant jump high enough and holds on,pulling herself up,she is barely leaning on it and when she does her back left leg is quite shaky,when she trys to sit-she doesnt sit right down or turns alot before she does,when i touch that leg she growls and hisses-could be broken/sprained/a cut-as there was a drop of blood on my windowsill ??? She is sacred from people outside/cars and usually only stays out for 10 minutes and always stays in the front or back garden or up in the trees so i dont think she would have been hurt by a car/person.Does she nees the vet or is it more likely just to be a sprain and just leave her a few days?

definitely take her to the vet, no one can tell you whats wrong except a vet. cat fights can lead to puncture wounds which are barely detectable but go deep and can cause very serious infection. good luck and i hope she recovers soon!

Could be an abcess - cats like to bite each other in the groin, which makes life difficult for owners, as it's hard to spot.

We once thought our semi-feral cat had just sprained her leg, so left her for a few days. She then went missing for a week or so and when she came back it was too late - the infection had got hold of her. We managed to get her to the vets, but she was too poorly by that point.

Don't want to scare you, but I'd say take her to the vets, just to be on the safe side. It's probably nothing, but it's better to get her seen to put your mind at rest.

It could be anything, it could even be a nasty wound hidden under the fur that you can't get close enough to see.

Regardless of what it is I'd get her to a vet. She's obviously in pain so needs pain relief and only a vet will be able to rule out a break. You'll never forgive yourself if it's something serious and affects her for the rest of her life (like of it's a break and it heals wrong). If it is only a small sprain at least the vets can give pain meds, sprains can be extremely painful!

Hope she feels better soon!

thanks,yeah i will definately be taking her but i just wanted to know if she would even be able to lean on it at all if it was broken but i am just about to phone for an appointment.

To vet's in a hurry. Elliot lost his leg after a nasty accident last year, we thought it was broken, but it was worse:cry:

Definitely get your cat to a vet asap, it could be anything, and she could be in a lot of pain :(

When I had a cat he got in a fight and was limping when he came in. So I took him to the vets and it turned out he had cuts on his legs and a huge gash under his front armpit which needed treatment and he needed pain relief.

It could be a break, a sprain or a bite/scratch wound that is infected and can turn into an abscess. All three need medical attention from a vet. She definitely needs to see a vet today. Sending lots of vibes xx

she was at the vets about an hour ago.The vet said she felt alot of heat as if she has an abscess somewhere so gave her 3 injections-anti-inflammatory,pain relif or antibiotic and penecilan for infection incase it was a bite,she is putting more weight on the leg so definately isnt broken anyway :)

Back