• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Who circle after a stroke? Some advice please?

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Is there any reason for this? Mona does it a lot when she is on any surface except vetbed. Does it mean she is in pain/confused/disorientated? Can I do anything to help her?

i had a gerbil that spun around all the time. the vet said it was a fault in her brain, not causing her any suffering. but that was long ago, i'm not sure how far one could trust vets in those days. :?

i had a gerbil that spun around all the time. the vet said it was a fault in her brain, not causing her any suffering. but that was long ago, i'm not sure how far one could trust vets in those days. :?

Thanks for your reply. Tbh this is what I presume but my dad feels its a sign she is in pain. I'm just not sure. Mona is very old and coping with a few health issues but she is doing well otherwise.

I haven't read the whole history but did all her symptoms happen at the same time? It's just that it's possible for a bun to have more than one thing wrong at once so it could be worth treating for EC and inner ear infection just in case. I'd check the ears visually too if she's a little unbalanced they can have trouble cleaning there own ears which can make them itchy, increase the risk of infection.

If she's elderly/has mobility issues it might be worth discussing pain relief with the vet as that can help with arthritis etc. too anyway.

I haven't read the whole history but did all her symptoms happen at the same time? It's just that it's possible for a bun to have more than one thing wrong at once so it could be worth treating for EC and inner ear infection just in case. I'd check the ears visually too if she's a little unbalanced they can have trouble cleaning there own ears which can make them itchy, increase the risk of infection.

If she's elderly/has mobility issues it might be worth discussing pain relief with the vet as that can help with arthritis etc. too anyway.

Pretty much all her symptoms happened at once. She had a stroke which immediately resulted in partial paralysis and turning. But it does look like the turning increased last weekend when she was off the vet bed. Back on the vet bed and it has stopped for the most part though. She is being treated for EC as a precaution but not inner ear yet. Her ears look very clean inside and she is not cleaning them at all any more as she can't balance so I think you have something there. I'll phone the vet in the morning and arrange a check up. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
Back