• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cutting rabbits nails

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I've never had to cut Louie's as they seem to remain short due to his constant scrabbling in the dirt!

However, today when he ran over to me, I heard a little clattering sound which I fear maybe a nail grown too long.

He isn't the most tolerant of rabbits to being picked up so Hubby is going to *attempt* to hold him whilst I do the snipping!

Wish us luck!

Good luck! You're very brave, mine have their nails done at the vets, I'm too scared to do it myself:shock:

Well, I checked them and they are fine!

He did have a little bit of hard, dried poop on his back foot, maybe it was that I heard making a noise on the laminate! :mrgreen:

I used to do mistys myself, my mum held her, she was very calm with it and it was easy because you could see the quick in her clear nails :thumb: good luck, snip quickly! :lol:

ETA: just noticed you said you didnt have to do them :oops:

I used to do mistys myself, my mum held her, she was very calm with it and it was easy because you could see the quick in her clear nails :thumb: good luck, snip quickly! :lol:

ETA: just noticed you said you didnt have to do them :oops:

It was bad enough just checking them, he kept kicking with his back legs!

So glad I didn't have to actually cut them!

I can't hold Frankie at home at all, she has to have hers done at the vets hunched in my lap on the floor as she has no worries about jumping out of my arms now. My bunnies when I was younger I could hold and clip by myself. Even my other two are a two person job!

My 3 got theirs trimmed at vets!!! Willow was the worst. Vet was scraped and cut as Willow struggled!!!!!! I wouldnt try too risky!!!!

Big GOOD LUCK to you! I do all the clipping myself as Popcorn and Jelly are so used to us holding them. Clipped their nails on day 1 (around 10 weeks old) and been doing about once a month.

Tutu, the rabbit I'm looking after for my friend, hates to be held and tried once to clip but end up with loads of scratches and 1 bite :( I've learned my lesson and bought really thick garden gloves whenever I HAVE TO hold her :lol: Successfully clipped her front paws but can't do any backs as she kicks very badly :lol:

Back