• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dads threatening outdoors

lucy24

Mama Doe
The buns keep leaving puddles of disgusting wee in the kitchen, landing and my room! mainly the kitchen and always in the same place! dad says if this keeps up they are going outside :(

I dont know what to do. I cant have the litter tray there all day, only at night otherwise its in the way of cupboards etc... i love having them inside! but if i had to move them i want to give them the best accomodation i can but im on a tight budget at the moment. any ideas? im thinking they will have to go out-as i cant handle my dad stressing and getting ratty with me :( i had them in my shed last year which was brillaint-but its damp-which is why i moved them inside so can only use that for storage. please help!:cry:

Has this behaviour only just started? If yes, has something changed to make them start doing it?

its been over the last 4 months -the pooing is worse too-i keep finding it all over the place!:roll:

nothing has changed that i can think of:?

Can you confine them to just one room with a litter ready available at all times? I think that would be the best way to get then using it and keep any accidents confined too.

i will have to think as we dont have a spare room, just a 2 bed house so not an awful lot of space to be confined in one room which is why they usually have the run of the pretty much the whole house apart from at night.

Keep your parents happy and you'll be happier and the buns will be happier. ;)

Maybe they can go out in the summer when the weather is a little less damp and then come in again in the winter. Or ask for a new shed for birthday/christmas. :D

Last edited:
I have a litter box in the kitchen as my two buns are temporarily there since quad bond split...the litter box is in the way of the cupboard, but I just put it in front of the least used cupboard and slide it over if I need to get in the cupboard.

But I understand many parents wouldn't be as tolerant as I am, So I would suggest maybe cheap puppy panels and section of part of a room. I think your bunnies need to go back to basics of litter training, and that does mean reducing down their space (temporarily) so that they get to know their litter tray, then slow expansion of space should help them remember where to go!

yes i will have to try that. they do have a litter box in there but they pee next to it then i have to put 2 in at night.:roll: looks like i'll be getting the puppy panels out....

The living with parents and having indoor buns can be tricky!
We were always moaned at because hay would walk out of their room.
I think you have a couple of options
1. Use puppy training pads around the house where they are having accients, that way you can just whip it up and change it so wouldnt be in the way like a tray would be.
2. Build them a pen that they stay in when your not home and they have supervised time out that way you can keep on top of things so your dad doesnt see the mess
3. Confine them to just your room, or just the upstairs- put a high stair gate up so they cant get down

Puppy pads are great...or probably cheaper are baby/toddler bed mats. How big are their litter trays? Are they under-bed storage boxes? If you are using cat litter trays, then these will be too shallow and buns tend to pee over the side of these. My buns will also pee out of the litter boxes if the boxes are not cleaned out in time :roll: Mine are fussy buns and like a nice clean litter tray every 2 days :roll:

When buns are unsettled, they may start to poop more outside their litter boxes...this seems to be happening more due to onset of spring, but isn't something I have noticed in previous years!

If my calculations are correct, Pampers bed mats work out cheaper per square cm of actual mat..(I compared Asda own brand, Huggies Dry nites and pet supermarket.co.uk puppy training pads 14,30,56 and 100 pack sizes!) This is probably because childrens stuff is lower or 0% VAT, wheras pet stuff is classed as "luxury" item.

my buns do use their litter tray but if sox gets excited if someone comes to see him he goes for wee out of tray, use one of those waterproof mats from the pound shop and just wipe it straight up without any problems, could you get some of these and place where they are weeing?

for now i have placed some newspaper down but they will not be going out- mum says she wants them in lol and dad admits he was just a bit annoyed but he didnt mean it so all all good for now:thumb:

for now i have placed some newspaper down but they will not be going out- mum says she wants them in lol and dad admits he was just a bit annoyed but he didnt mean it so all all good for now:thumb:

:thumb: i would totally recommened the waterproof petmats there blue coloured incase you look for them, they dont need throwing away like puppy pads and can be washed or wiped down clean

The buns keep leaving puddles of disgusting wee in the kitchen, landing and my room! mainly the kitchen and always in the same place! dad says if this keeps up they are going outside :(

I dont know what to do. I cant have the litter tray there all day, only at night otherwise its in the way of cupboards etc... i love having them inside! but if i had to move them i want to give them the best accomodation i can but im on a tight budget at the moment. any ideas? im thinking they will have to go out-as i cant handle my dad stressing and getting ratty with me :( i had them in my shed last year which was brillaint-but its damp-which is why i moved them inside so can only use that for storage. please help!:cry:

Where do they have their tray during the day? is it still accessible to them?

Back