• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies not liking going down ramps...alternative?

Ezleanne

New Kit
Hi, I have recently purchased a new 7ftx6ftx3ft 3 storey hutch with ramps.My two buns are fine going up the ramps but don't go back down. They look down the opening in the floor but seem scared to go down.Any advice on replacing ramps in a three storey hutch, for something else the bunnies can use to climb up and down the levels?? Have considered Trixie stairs, but unsure how these would work with the entry hole on the 3rd level being above the entry hole to the 2nd level?! Anyone have photos of how their steps are set out or any other ideas!:?

As BattleKat said, try carpet tiles stuck to them and/or wooden batons at intervals. Are the ramps fixed at the bottom? Can you raise them up with a brick or two so they're less steep? I think the main problem is the grip and the steepness of the ramps, so you may find with a combination of the above they'd be fine.

Bunnies do prefer jumps rather than ramps as it's more natural, so if they really won't get on with ramps you can make a box to jump up with. It's a little difficult because of the opening being above the other opening, so you'd have to make a table type of arrangement and fix that to the walls above the hole. It'd allow bunny to jump up from the bottom level while providing a step to jump up. If bunnies have to jump a decent height, they like to have enough height clearance at the top. However, if it's only a small jump that they can reach up to with their front legs, they only need a small height clearance. This might be very important when you go to put this 'table' type thing on if you ever do - leave a lot of clearance for the big jump and leave a much smaller gap for the smaller jump bit. If that makes any sense at all!

One of the three table type thingies here might work well for you? http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/accessories-s/1514.htm

Back