• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning/sterilising syringes

JackieS

Warren Scout
Following on from rose being syringe fed post spay and now needing baytril for a wound infection We seem to be amassing a collection of syringes which will be handy to keep as you never know when you might need them. Can I sterilise them in milton once I've finished with them and then use them again? Or is just a general wash enough? I should I bin them and get new? (we'd only use them for syringe feeding etc)

Unfortunately, if you clean them, the markings come off. You're far better off buying a stash of new ones. SPH Supplies sells them.

As I typically use at least 50 1ml syringes a day, we can't afford to always buy new ones. I used to put them in Miltons but now just wash them in washing up liquid and rinse well. Of course this reuse is for oral use only, for injection we always use sterile new ones (2ml as they are cheaper). Some last better than others. The two part ones are far better for reuse. I have some that have been in use for several years, washed at least once a week (I wash several hundred at a time). Obviously where the dose is important use one where the markings are still visible. I have filled so many syringes I know how much is in them without the markings!

As I typically use at least 50 1ml syringes a day, we can't afford to always buy new ones. I used to put them in Miltons but now just wash them in washing up liquid and rinse well. Of course this reuse is for oral use only, for injection we always use sterile new ones (2ml as they are cheaper). Some last better than others. The two part ones are far better for reuse. I have some that have been in use for several years, washed at least once a week (I wash several hundred at a time). Obviously where the dose is important use one where the markings are still visible. I have filled so many syringes I know how much is in them without the markings!

Thank you both for your advice :) I think I'll sterilise these ones and if we get through more and more then I'll buy new. And I'll keep an eye on the measurements!

We use around 30 a day too so wash them daily in washing up liquid. We also use them once the numbers have gone as can do the right doses with our eyes shut. Ours last several months then the rubber bits get stuck so start a new batch

Ooh I don't use a fresh one every time (would go bankrupt!) I just meant that you can't really sterilise them.

Back