• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breaking up with partner... What to do with Rabbits?

Sophie123

New Kit
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice - not sure if this is the correct section but it seems to get the most traffic, so here goes.

My partner and I have split up, I need to move out of our house at the end of April but I can't find anywhere suitable for my two rabbits and I.

Due to financial problems it looks like I am going to have to find a shared house somewhere rather than renting somewhere privately... No one will take me and the rabbits. I can't find anywhere! I really don't know what to do.

I love my two so much and really really don't want to find someone to take them permanently but right now I don't think I have a choice. All my friends are unsuitable (dogs, small kids) or just don't want to help.. I have looked in to a bunny holiday place but at £140 a WEEK that isn't guna happen anytime soon.

I'm stuck. Has anyone been through this? What did you do????

Would be safer to advertise on here than random ads.

Where abouts are you? Are the rabbits indoor or outdoor?

I'm sure you could find someone on here to foster them for you.

I'm not in a position to foster myself, but I have done twice previously. Once for a few weeks, the second time was for a few months.

As long as you are willing to cover costs, I'm sure you'd find someone who can foster them for you

Sorry you're going through such a difficult time, no doubt made so much worse by having problems getting your bunnies sorted too. Are they indoor or outdoor bunnies? How long is the arrangement likely to be for? It might be worth approaching some boarders/rescues who also do boarding to see if you can negotiate a long-term boarding rate. If they know it will give them a consistent income for a while, some might be able to accommodate this. I would be really reluctant to advertise as you really don't know what plausible sounding random person you might get, and it could end up being disastrous.

If they do end up going to a foster, please make sure you prepare some paperwork for both to sign and keep a copy of, stating responsibilities of both parties - for instance state clearly that the rabbits remain your sole property and must be given back to you at any time, and for any agreement on payment of bills/taking to vet/paying vet bills etc.

I do hope you manage to sort something out so that you and your furries can stay together or get back together as soon as possible x x

Are landlords being a pain even about keeping rabbits outdoors? I must admit I found it hard to find a place that'd let me have indoor rabbits, but outdoor never seemed to be a problem. Instead of a shed setup, could you get a new setup of a hutch and run? Perhaps the landlord(s) are unhappy about the large shed setup? I know it's a compromise but if you get a nice 6/7/8foot hutch(double if you can afford it) and a, say, 8x6 run, they'd have a lot of space still and I'm sure they wouldn't mind? I suppose it really depends on your money situation.

Where is your ex going to move to, if at all? Can your ex keep them temporarily (if you trust him) until you save up, if necessary? Parents maybe? Or again there is foster carers - approach bunny rescues near you and they may have space, but I'm aware that most rescues are full to bursting so probably won't have room, even if you pay all the food/maintenance costs and a nominal fee for use of the hutch that could be used for rescue buns.

Thanks Santa your post has been helpful. Never even crossed my mind to have contracts!

They are indoor outdoor bunnies...! Live in a shed but I'm soft so they spend most of the night in my living room.

Time wise I have no idea. I would like to say two months max but I have no idea what the future holds now...

I'm just outside Milton Keynes, if anyone could help I will pay for everything/have everything and would be eternally grateful.

I just feel so so bad for them.. Their last mother gave them up because of her relationship breaking down. I feel like I've let them down

:cry:

Are landlords being a pain even about keeping rabbits outdoors? I must admit I found it hard to find a place that'd let me have indoor rabbits, but outdoor never seemed to be a problem. Instead of a shed setup, could you get a new setup of a hutch and run? Perhaps the landlord(s) are unhappy about the large shed setup? I know it's a compromise but if you get a nice 6/7/8foot hutch(double if you can afford it) and a, say, 8x6 run, they'd have a lot of space still and I'm sure they wouldn't mind? I suppose it really depends on your money situation.

Where is your ex going to move to, if at all? Can your ex keep them temporarily (if you trust him) until you save up, if necessary? Parents maybe? Or again there is foster carers - approach bunny rescues near you and they may have space, but I'm aware that most rescues are full to bursting so probably won't have room, even if you pay all the food/maintenance costs and a nominal fee for use of the hutch that could be used for rescue buns.

The shed has to stay here so it would be a hutch and run job for a while anyway. Everyone I have spoke to isn't happy with the rabbits.. I don't know if its because I would just be renting a room?

Ex will be going to his parents, in an ideal world they would go with him but they are my animals and my responsibility.. My parents have a greyhound so that isn't going to happen lol.

I'd love to help but I have nowhere to put them. Not even a spare space in the garden. I hope you find somewhere soon.

I hope you get things sorted.. What a worry on top of everything else...

Fee xx

It doesn't sound to me like you're letting them down at all! relationship breakups are pretty unavoidable sometimes and it sounds to me as if you're trying hard to fight hard to get them sorted :D

How far can you travel? Is it other tenants, or landlords who aren't happy with the bunnies? Could you really play it down as if they're just ordinary little pet bunnies who live in a hutch tucked away somewhere outdoors and stay in that so they won't get in the way or ruin anything?

Caroline at The Rabbit Residence (Near Royston, Herts) does bunny holiday boarding.
I boarded mine with her for a week once and it cost about £50 if I remember correctly, would that be an option for you? Better than £140 a week!

Thanks Mackers, it does look like you have your hands full!

Santa - I have sooo played them down to everyone I have spoken to. No joy or the few that said yes where unsuitable due to the accommodation/my working hours. Thanks for being nice. Everything in my life is changing atm, I just want to keep them with me :(

I also have a hamster - I don't think he is helping either :) (mad rabbit-hamster lady haha)

I have to stay roughly in the area I'm in for work. It's such a shame because I have seen some great places further a feild!

I have looked in to a bunny holiday place but at £140 a WEEK that isn't guna happen anytime soon

I offer boarding but I'm probably too far away....but I just wanted to say £140 a week? Blimey! Our rates are £5/day for two buns in an indoor cage with a run attached (www.vipiggies.co.uk) so £35 for a week!

I hope you get something sorted soon, it must be a massive worry :(

Tracey

I was going to say £140 a week is very expensive for boarding - there are several places I know of around here that charge less than £10 a day for a pair (from about £5 upwards). With it being fairly long-term, could you take them a little further away to board?

We are close to Milton Keynes, we have one spare hutch but nothing bigger. We wouldn't charge anything to look after then for a few Weeks until you are more sorted. Message me of you think we could help

It may be too far for you but there is a brilliant rabbit boarder/rescue lady in Aylesbury who isnt expensive.Ive had 3 of my buns from her.The place is called Rabbit Ritz,and the lady is Karen.She has a website.

I have an empty outside set up (shed and aviary) I live in Wellingborough so not very far, and if you will cover all costs then I can ask my parents if they would mind some short term lodgers :lol:

Back