• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on litter please

Den

Mama Doe
What sort of litter is safe for bunnies please? Although they are to be outdoor buns I want to get them using a litter tray (so I can try to persuade hubby they can come indoors). Can you just use ordinary cat litter? I've never had a cat so have no idea what's what. Many thanks.

Normal cat litter is dangerous for bunnies if they ingest it so if you want to use cat litter, you need a wood based one :)

I just use about 8 sheets of newspaper and just fill their litter trays (storage boxes) with hay :)

What sort of litter is safe for bunnies please? Although they are to be outdoor buns I want to get them using a litter tray (so I can try to persuade hubby they can come indoors). Can you just use ordinary cat litter? I've never had a cat so have no idea what's what. Many thanks.

I use a layer or newspaper a layer of megazorb with a layer of harvest straw to prevent the kicking out any megazorb as they live inside but soon to go out in there new home in a shed

Mine are perfectly happy (and litter users!) with a layer of newpaper covered with generous layer of hay. So I do not have to buy litter :D

We use breeders celect recycled paper cat litter, very absorbent but quite expensive the amount we get through. £10.95 for 30 litres

Everyone else has given you pretty much all the options! I love megazorb - so cheap and absorbent, fits perfectly in an 85L bin and lasts forever! If you change their litter trays every 2-3 days, I find the megazorb means it never smells like wee. Just avoid clumping cat litters and you'll be fine :D

Back