• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Submitting to a Blog and in Need of Critique

Snowytoshi

Mama Doe
I recentally applied to write for a rabbit blog that is just starting out. The owner of the blog asked if I could send her a couple potential articles. I just finished the first draft of one and would love any feedback :wave: It's an article about rabbits having more space then just a cage to live, so I would also love some pictures of setups and/or ones of rabbits that suffered physically from being in a tiny cage. My only request is that since the blog only supports indoor housing that I only see indoor setups :oops: That's not my opinion, so I hope no one takes offense.

Anyhow here is the article, alternate title suggestions are appreciated:
The Joy of a Rabbit Without a Cage
Every morning I wake to the sound of hay being chewed contentedly and every evening I go to sleep petting the rabbit sleeping beside me. When I come home from school and go in to see how he's doing I often see him asleep on my bed, chittering his teeth happily. And when I bring him downstairs to play? A quick dash into the playroom just to chin everything and then a sky high leap, a run through the tunnels! At the end of it all, when he has worn himself out, a huge flop against the wall and if you're lucky a little roll...

Joshua hasn't always been so lucky, he came to the shelter aggressive from poor handling. In fact when I first met him, and tried to pet him he lunged at me. Thankfully the larger living space has helped him become less aggressive and happier. At the shelter he spent nine months in a cage with only a hour or so of exercise a day, this meant that he had no way to use up his energy and relieve tension. And when all people did was move him from one location to another, he couldn't erase his fear of them.

When I brought him home we had intended to keep him in a x-pen, yet within the next two weeks he declared himself a free rabbit and opened the gate. Unfortunately he still had to be penned because of Toshi and Paige who were not yet bonded and still living in my room. Later that month I finally bonded Toshi and Paige and moved them downstairs, allowing Joshua to now have full range of my room. We left the hutches open so that Joshua could hop into them if he wanted to hide. It wasn't long before he realized that with two mighty leaps he could sail from my bed to Paige's old hutch (shorter then Toshi's) to Toshi's old hutch and from there he could watch over his kingdom and be eye to eye with his humans.
As the weather got warmer I began to leave my window open and one day we pulled into our driveway, looked up at the window, and saw Joshua peering at the world, a world that for the time appeared safe. Over the next few months he blossomed and stopped biting, he still goes through periods of aggression, but overall he is happier and more relaxed. I contribute this to the fact that he is allowed so much space and the experience has been an eye opener for me. It has allowed me to see what a rabbit can become when given the room to choose, choose where to sleep, where to eat, and where to play.

Rabbits confined to cages, especially for long parts of the day are not given the chance to be happy. Unofrtunately most cages do not allow a rabbit to exhibit its natural behavior and some small cages can also lead to muscle wastage because they can't exercise or move properly. A rabbit in a x-pen, allowed roam of a room, or free range will be a much healthier and happier rabbit.

I'm not sure if this is the style of the blog, but that comes across as a story rather than an article. I'd expect an article to be less personal and more factual. I'm sorry to sound so negative! It's not a bad piece at all, like I said it just seems like more of a story to me.

Back