• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! :( Bunny has opened spay wound

Babbitty

Young Bun
Hi, I'm new to posting so apologies if I am not following the normal protocol of newbie!

My 2 girls were spayed on Wednesday and they have both been happily eating, drinking and pooping as normal, both happy enough and I checked their wounds today and one (Frenchie) has opened up her wound. She is albino so can easily see no red or swelling, I am taking them both back to vet tomorrow but I just wondered if anyone had experienced this?

I've read that some vets don't re-stitch and let it heal on its own?

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Worried Bunny Owner

Claire

:wave: hello and welcome! im not sure about spays but my boy opened one of his wounds when neutered and the vet just glued it back up. i took him in as soon as i noticed he'd opened it, but im sure someone else can advise on whether or not its ok to wait til tomorrow. i was also given antibiotics for him as an open wound can obviously invite infection! were you given pain relief to take home after the spay? sometimes if it is hurting them it can be the cause of them niggling at it and opening it up. hope it all goes ok! x

:wave:

Poppy opened her wound by licking it open :roll::lol: we took her back to the vets the next day and they sorted it out for her:lol: I then watched her like a hawk for the next week and stopped her licking it whenever she was down there cleaning too long:lol:

What kind of space are they in at the moment? When you get them back from the vets, and depending on the space they are in, I would carry on keeping it small so the wound can't open through fast spurts :) if you haven't already, keeps their hay raised so it doesn't agitate the wound and to help monitor poos and wees you can use a towel in a litter tray :)

I wasn't given lain relief to come home with, was told they had some given to them though.

They're in a large hutch, normally have free run of my porch but I've left them in their hutches y'day and today I let them out whilst I cleaned them out.

Frenchie doesn't normally binky much, she's the quieter of the 2, she does love to chew though!! :-s

She is eating and pooping fine, I'm taking her to vets first thing, there's no bleeding or soreness, was hoping to find lovely clean stitched wound like Saunders but got a stomach churning shock when I saw her little open wound :(

Praying she'll be okay! She's such a lovely girl.

Spays are big operations so I would ask for some metacam when you're there, they get given one that lasts 24 hours but you'll want at least 4 days worth for them:wave: it can get pretty uncomfortable for them but as prey animals they won't let you know that :)

Spays are big operations so I would ask for some metacam when you're there, they get given one that lasts 24 hours but you'll want at least 4 days worth for them:wave: it can get pretty uncomfortable for them but as prey animals they won't let you know that :)

Thank you!! :) I will be sure to ask for some pain relief to come home with, poor bun buns, they're not the cuddliest of girls so feel helpless not being able to comfort them.

The journey to the vets really stresses Frenchie out but hopefully it will be the last one for a while!

Thank you for your replies, feel a little easier that it's not uncommon and fingers crossed will be sorted quickly x

I agree with this. And pain can cause animals to reopen wounds.

She definitely needs it glueing back together. When I had Chloe done, she got stitches out, and emergency vet put staples in, which Chloe had out by the time I got back from emergency vets (20 minutes) by the next morning she had an infection and needed antibiotics and gluing. I would take her to vets tonight and insist on glue and oral metacam pain relief to last her a few days at least. One shot of metacam injection isn't enough for post-spay as it is a very invasive procedure (like having a c-section!!)

p.s. If you leave it till the morning, she may keep licking it during the night, possibly opening wound further and increasing chance of infection.

Welcome to the forum Claire. :D I don't have any experience but I've moved this to Health for you so that it's more easily spotted by those who may be able to help.

The vet will have an emergency number that you can ring tonight to see whether she needs to be seen now or if it can wait until morning (try calling the usual number and there will either be somebody to answer the phone or a recorded message advising you what number to ring).

Lots of vibes for your bunny. x

She definitely needs it glueing back together. When I had Chloe done, she got stitches out, and emergency vet put staples in, which Chloe had out by the time I got back from emergency vets (20 minutes) by the next morning she had an infection and needed antibiotics and gluing. I would take her to vets tonight and insist on glue and oral metacam pain relief to last her a few days at least. One shot of metacam injection isn't enough for post-spay as it is a very invasive procedure (like having a c-section!!)

p.s. If you leave it till the morning, she may keep licking it during the night, possibly opening wound further and increasing chance of infection.

Vet wants to stitch Frenchie again, I asked for glue but he said he didn't think it would hold and said they'll put few stitches and then some glue and she'll come home with pain relief too. I was first to be seen by vet but can't get her until after 5pm.....

I am worried she is going to open up wound again but hoping with pain relief she'll leave it alone....... Such a contrast to Saunders who has left gets alone and back to normal within 24 hours.

Thanks for all your replies, fingers crossed this time French leaves it alone!

Cx

Vet wants to stitch Frenchie again, I asked for glue but he said he didn't think it would hold and said they'll put few stitches and then some glue and she'll come home with pain relief too. I was first to be seen by vet but can't get her until after 5pm.....

I am worried she is going to open up wound again but hoping with pain relief she'll leave it alone....... Such a contrast to Saunders who has left gets alone and back to normal within 24 hours.

Thanks for all your replies, fingers crossed this time French leaves it alone!

Cx

Hopefully she will be ok. I love the names btw! :wave:

that's great news, i hope she recovers well and leaves it alone :) are they going to give you pain relief for your other girl too?

that's great news, i hope she recovers well and leaves it alone :) are they going to give you pain relief for your other girl too?

Very happy to report Frenchie has left her wound alone over night and is much sprightlier this morning! :) what a relief!

The vet said her internal wound and muscle layer were healing beautifully, they stitched internally this time and glued the very outside, pain relief obviously helped!!

I asked about pain relief for Saunders too but day 3 after the op and she has healed lovely, vet said he was reluctant to give her any at that stage?! She seems fine now, although I will know for next time to make sure I come away with pain relief for any future buns!!

Once they're fully healed and hormones settled down I am planning on re-bonding the double act!! Fingers crossed!!

Thanks again for the replies, it's been a worrying time and nice to know there are people who know and love bunnies!! I left a friends birthday early last night so I could get back to check on French and they just didn't understand!

Cx

P.S I will add some photos of my lovely girls soon :)

I would definitely ask for pain relief in future. A lot of vets don't give any or too little pain relief to rabbits, for some strange reason.

Looking forward to piccies! :thumb:

I am changing my vets to the one the emergency vet recommended, they are further 20 min drive but after the experience I have had I would rather an extra 20 mins of bunnies traveling and know they are seeing a Rabbit savvy vet! I feel terrible I didn't go there first now but I know now and at least Frenchie is comfortable........ X

P.S emergency vet said French is a typical lab bunny!! Bred for experiments! :( I'm glad I have her to give her a lovely life

I am glad you have found a rabbit savvy vet. You clearly love your bunnies very much and want to do what is best for them! Don't be so hard on yourself, most people make mistakes, you have to in order to learn. :thumb:

Rose has been nomming on her wound too - irritating isn't it! Fortunately she hasn't opened it enough to warrant glue or additional stitches but it has have a nice yellow pus collection so she's on baytril and is gonna be followed up on Tuesday to see how she's getting on. Naughty bunnies! Glad your bun is feeling better :thumb:

Back